Puppy Peeing And Pooping Everywhere :(

merikuri

Hi everyone! I've just got my new puppy today!!

Everything is great except that she does not pee/poo at where I want her too.. I brought her out for potty time after her meal n she did not want to go until we are in the house!!! I use the nappy paper to soak her pee and leave it near her cage (which she hates it, another problem :( ) but she still chose to go on area other than the nappy paper..

What am I doing wrong here? T__T

I know it's only the first day and I shouldn't be impatient about this. But I'm really stressed out because I'm taking care of her on my own for now. And she has been peeing in the house for four times.. Pooping 2 times.. no signs at all before that! There is no where I could leave her alone and do my own stuff as she just kept whinning in her cage..

Please help or give me any advice on potty training if you can!! Thanks!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often are you taking her out? How long are you out with her? What do you do?

You need to take her out every fee hours and about 5-10 mins after every meal. Don't play with her when waiting for her to go to the loo. Wait patiently ( could be 15 mins +). praise her when she does toilet outside. You need to do this even once she seems to be toilet trained - pups often regress

You also need to ensure you clean up the house mess properly with no amonia as they like to go in the same spot. Vinegar is good for cleaning up.

No paper in her crate - that is her bed and you need to take her out often to ensure she doesn't need to sleep in/near her own mess.

It often takes many months to get a dog fully toilet trained. It takes longer when you work and they go inside on paper. Patience, praise and NO reprimanding for mistakes is the key.

Edited by megan_

Good advice from Megan, I might just add one of my girls needed going outside every 1/2 hour, she was tiny 1.5 kilos when I got her and obviously had a tiny bladder.

What breed is your puppy and how old?

I was thinking like megan_, is it a crate or a puppy pen? Is it big enough to include a small toilet area (I use a little patch of fake grass with a puppy pad underneath, at least then the pup can get the texture right for toileting)?

I also probably would have said if it is a baby puppy, when they're awake at first I take them outside about every 30 minutes, plus after eating/sleeping/playing/exciting event and like megan_ said wait until they've gone regardless of how long that takes.

Also there will have been signs - they just might have been very subtle and very quick! Watch her closely and you'll figure out her signs!

What training are you doing to help her get used to the crate/puppy pen? Remember chances are she's just been torn from the family she has spent the last 8 weeks with and now you want her to happily sit on her own in a pen. Not that there is anything wrong with that as a concept, but what are you doing to make this a great place to be and to keep her mind busy rather than her pining for her new family to come back to her?

And yes, it's day 1, there will be mistakes, there will be a big learning curve, but good for asking quickly!!

Able long is she in her crate for? They aren't for long term confinement

I only got her this evening so she hasn't been in her crate for longer than 10 minutes.. And se started biting her crate and whining badly.. I introduced the cage to her slowly with food and toys.. But she only goes in to get her toys and come out right after.

I have no idea what to do for tonight. Do I just put her into her cage and let her whine until she quiets down? What is she doesn't? ><

Yes good advice from Megan.

It can seem like a lot of work but worth it in the end :)

I have found that keeping a written log of when the puppy eats, sleeps and toilets can really help you get to know when puppy needs to go. If you take her out and she won't go - take her back in and put her back in her crate for 10 minutes and then try again. Once she has gone she can have some time out of the crate and have a play as a reward. Try taking her out on lead so that she has to concentrate on going rather than on running around exploring whenever she likes. Take her to the same spot each time and when she starts to sniff and circle say a command like "toilet" and praise her when she goes. If you can't be supervising her she should be in her crate. Don't give her free run of the house or she will go wherever she likes and get into bad habits. Take her out after meals, sleeps and play sessions or if she hasn't been for three or so hours.

I only got her this evening so she hasn't been in her crate for longer than 10 minutes.. And se started biting her crate and whining badly.. I introduced the cage to her slowly with food and toys.. But she only goes in to get her toys and come out right after.

I have no idea what to do for tonight. Do I just put her into her cage and let her whine until she quiets down? What is she doesn't? ><

How about putting the crate in your room so she still knows you are nearby. Yes she might howl for a bit but it might not be as bad as if the crate was in another room. She should settle down in time and go to sleep. If she is just a baby she won't be able to hold it all night so if she wakes through the night be prepared to take her out again.

If she is crying, don't go to her until she has been quiet for at least 5-10 seconds or so or she will learn that crying gets attention

If she doesn't you just have to ride it out. My youngest pup screamed for three nights solid before he finally settled. It was a shock tot he system after having 3 pups who were fabulous at night.

Put the crate beside your bed where pup can see/hear you if need be. I spend the first week with my hand on the crate so my pup knew I was close by.

My other three pups never had a crate and all sleep on the bed as young pups, although I don't recommend this especially with a pup not toilet trained.

Good luck.

I have to say when I got Kenzie I did this - it was around 1.5 hours of awful screaming til she had exhausted herself and fell asleep. And it also happened for each of the following nights for around a week. I then also had quite a bit of difficulty in getting her to settle happily in a crate for some time. Hamish - happy in the crate from moment 1. Slept the whole first night through locked in and have never had a problem ever.

Each dog is different. But if she's already not liking the crate I'd be reluctant to to do the "locking and screaming" technique again. I'd be loking at other possible overnight arrangements until you can get her used to the crate. Did the breeder give you any feedback on how the pup coped with being in crates for vet visits or anything like that? Often that may be the only time they've been confined to a crate before going to their new home.

ETA Definitely agree with what others have said in terms of if you keep her in the crate have it as close to you as possible preferably so you can put your hand in! (I ended up doing that with Kenz, and it was better!)

Edited by Pretty Miss Emma

I know someone who couldn't put up with pup screaming so went to breeder and got litter mate. (I would not recommend this) it worked out ok for them but I think it's extreme!

How old is pup? Breed?

My advice is don't expect miracles & stop stressing.

You are not doing anything wrong.

The pup is in a strange place, has had to travel from somewhere or other, left her mum & litter mates & doesn't know you, the environment or where she is. Drastic stuff for a baby.

Have patience, a pup doesn't house train in a day or even a week.

People use all different kinds of ways to house train pups & they work. Main point is that pup understands what you want it to do & is capable of doing it. Takes time.

She is a golden retriever! 8 weeks old and really cuteeee! But occasionally she is a headache too lol

Good advice from Megan, I might just add one of my girls needed going outside every 1/2 hour, she was tiny 1.5 kilos when I got her and obviously had a tiny bladder.

What breed is your puppy and how old?

Another question,

How do you guys play or keep your puppy during the day? Does your puppy stay in the crate during the day at all? If so, how long? Because I am really worried that if I let her out and do my things, she will pee any time >< I'll definitely try the method to bring her out every few hours and stay until she goes!!!

Sorry guys, I'll try to reply tomorrow morning as I now am in my new place and Internet is not connected yet.. and 3G sucks!

Thanks a lot for all the advice

I'm so touched!

ooPS...

There are lots of things it helps to know BEFORE you get a little poo machine in the house :(

Here are some posts from old D O L threads which may help .

REMEMBER you have a new baby .

The new baby is stressed

the new baby has NO idea what "housetraining " means , as it has to go when it needs to....NOW ..babies have little/no control.

The new baby needs a setup which means it cannot make mistakes ...

the new baby needs YOU to be its brain and its legs for now ... to allow it to toilet every tome it needs to .,and where the human wants it to :)

:Puppies need to pee as soon as they wake from a sleep, after meals and any time they get excited. There is no real time schedule as it depends on the feed times and activity. Sometimes they will pee three times in an hour and sometimes not for 3 hours. They usually poo within 10 minutes of eating a meal then about 9 hours after the last meal at night so if you don't want them needing to go in the middle of the night give the last of their 3 or 4 daily feeds, 1 hour before bed, let them toilet then play with them until about 15 minutes before you want them to bed down as they need to wind down, not be hyper to sleep. Do not leave food with them even in a kong overnight and I take the water up as well unless it is really hot but not until the last minute. Night time is for sleeping not eating or playing. Leave a safe soft toy in with them to snuggle up to.

The best time to play with the puppy is after it has toileted but not in it's pen. This is the time to give them fully supervised access to the house as further reward for going to the toilet outside. Most of they time they will sniff around if they need to pee again but sometimes they just get a bit hyper or head into corners of the room. Any sign of distraction from you and play can be a sign to take them out. I like to let puppies have access to outdoors when playing with them and encourage them to go out if need be. I teach them to toilet on command by using a word then praising once they start to go, both on and off lead. If they need to toilet during the night, offer the same praise but no gamesFinally, puppy will need a variety of toys, not just a kong. I have never had a dog show any interest in them but some dogs love them. I use a toy basket and praise the puppy for taking anything from it but give a little growl if they try to chew anything that isn't from the toy basket. </b>

<b>The only solution is to confine him to a crate, pen or an small area, when you cannot directly supervise ( this includes night time ) and to make sure that he is taken out for very regular toilet stops and that he goes while out there. Praise, praise and more praise for getting it right.

You will still need to get up at least a couple of times during the night, as he's going to go whenever and wherever he needs to

Pups of that age basically urinate within a few seconds of waking up and taking the first couple of steps out of their bed. You need to be quick to catch him and get him outside. If he's downstairs and you're asleep in the bedroom, you have virtually no chance of that happening. </b>

<b>Little dogs are a bit slower to toilet train generally, but not always

One thing is that people expect it to happen almost instantly & sometimes it can just take a bit of time.

Those that crate train say its instant but that's not a way I like or would do.

\The puppy needs to know what you expect & where to go so you need just the one word that means toilet for wees or poo.

Put puppy on the pads or grass or where you want her to go after food, when she wakes up & maybe every hour at first & say the toilet word

When she does go lots of praise & fuss

Takes a while for some but dogs are smart, she will get it eventually.=

If you can leave a pad that she toileted on down so she knows the smell & goes there againYou want to remove the dirty one & put a clean one down I know but sometimes this helps for just a few times. </b>

and some crate training links...

http://www.dolforums...crate-training/

http://www.dolforums...ning-new-puppy/

It will take work and time until you get to understand how your puppy works ...... then you can start the education :)

Edited by persephone

http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

Download these books and read the sections on house training and crate training.

It's normal for the pup to scream in the crate if she's not used to it. As long as she has been fed and been taken out to toilet in the past hour ignore it. If she wakes in the night (she will and probably more than once), take her out to toilet on leash, wait until she does (could take 5 seconds or could take half an hour), then put her back in the crate. No fuss, no play and if she squawks (she will) ignore her.

During the day you can play crate games with her, feed her in the crate and so in to get her used to it if you wish.

At night keep the crate next to your bed. Expect to get woken up a few times a night for the first few weeks. Expect that your pup will decide that 2am is the best time for a play, or that 5am is wake up time. It's normal, it gets better.

Something like this may help settle her too http://www.nightcomforter.com.au/puppy-series.php

I'll definitely try the method to bring her out every few hours

That is way too long :(

if you have a backyard ...she can be out there for some time during the day .

Crates are NOT meant for keeping a puppy in a lot .. .. pens/backyards are better for that :) you may need to go shopping for a pen tomorrow ..or baby gates ....

I'll definitely try the method to bring her out every few hours

That is way too long :(

if you have a backyard ...she can be out there for some time during the day .

Crates are NOT meant for keeping a puppy in a lot .. .. pens/backyards are better for that :) you may need to go shopping for a pen tomorrow ..or baby gates ....

Thanks Persephone!

I planned to get baby gates but since she is not house trained yet I would still have to monitor her every single second :(

If I get a play pen and put it outside my backyard, should I leave it on the grassy area or the concrete floor? I read somewhere that a play pen should have her toys, water bowl and a toilet area. How can I let the puppy know where is her toilet area?

And is it normal for the puppy to eat leaves lol! I thought she was hungry but mine still eat it after her breakfast!

Hi everyone!

Just an update after a sleepless night for me loll

I had my sister and bro in law came over to help me settle my puppy in the crate.. I just couldn't stand the sound of her crying :( (I think she really misses her siblings since my place has a lot of glass door and when she sees her reflection she wants to play with it!) fortunately she did settle in her crate and slept thru the night with a few crying and toilet times.. From the first post she hasn't had any accidents inside the house but I think that's because I'm supervising her like an eagle loll

She just had her breakfast an hour ago and right after that I brought her out for toilet and she poop!!!! Hallelujah!! But no peeing so I'm now waiting for her to tell me the signs.. By the way she is sleeping by my feet now and the crate is just right in front of her (this just show how much she hated her crate ><)

So far toilet break and timing is working!! Thanks for all your suggestion guys. But since I'm really worried that she will have to go during the night I only slept for 3hours roughly >< I just couldn't fall asleep!

And another problem is what should I do to her during the daytime as I'm still doing my postgrad and sometimes I have to do my assignment etc. I think I really need to come up with a good schedule during the Easter break!

Please keeps the advice coming! I really need your opinion! And correct me if I'm doing anything wrong :( it's my first time having a puppy.. I only have adult dogs before and they are so much easier! But puppy is cuter haha!