How Do You Select & Exclude Elements?

kja

I have a little personal project I want to do but it involves layers and selecting elements, replacing backgrounds etc. I just don't photoshop so only have the very basics on how to achieve what I want to achieve. The biggest obstacle I see initially is getting a good selection.

I had a quickie play around with this image:

1 frame

+

1 swirly elements

+

1 background

+

1 photo of Tilly

=

test1_zps2a110645.jpg

It's getting the stuff around the main subject to look smooth and "natural" - I can't imagine what this will be like when there are strands of hair or smaller elements like a hand etc.

So what are the tricks and tips? What should I be googling for when looking for tutorials? Any help appreciated - I'll never do this a lot as it's not my thing, but it's time I at least learned how to do a moderate edit in a reasonable amount of time.

I use a layer mask as that way I can easily reverse it if I find I haven't got the edge right. I also change the transparency and flow of the brush when working around the edge and use a soft brush so that it is not a hard line.

Another trick I was told and I usually forget is once you have the element use the feather tool to soften the edge to get rid of that hard cut out line. Applying a shadow can help too.

I am sure there are others that do a much better job than me but they are the things I play with when I am doing it.