Breeder Licence In Qld

yarracully

Just going through a proposal for NSW to introduce a breeders licence and I noticed they referred to a trial being conducted in Queensland. I am curious to know peoples thought on it. Especially those on Queensland that were included in the trial areas. Not interested in politician bashing just actaul thoughts and opinions on the concept

Just going through a proposal for NSW to introduce a breeders licence and I noticed they referred to a trial being conducted in Queensland. I am curious to know peoples thought on it. Especially those on Queensland that were included in the trial areas. Not interested in politician bashing just actaul thoughts and opinions on the concept

This is a pilot program on the gold coast - anyone who owns an entire dog is supposed to go to council and get approval to breed it and they inspect the property and give a yes or no. This has to be renewed every year. They also have to give their licence numbers in all ads.

So we have one member who owns a CC champion bitch. She isnt ready to breed her yet and wont until she moves to a larger property but in order to keep her entire she has to get a breeders licence which they wont approve as her home has been ruled out for breeding.

Then 12 months later we go and look at the local papers and not one of them had a breeders licence number with puppies advertised. When we went to the council to ask why the answer was that they had no ability or resources to police it.

So the only people who are compliant are those that were doing the right thing anyway any one who has too many or who live in small housing allotments etc or who want to keep entire dogs simply dont register their dogs.Anyone breeding any old dog advertises them where they want anyway .Its only dummies like CC registered breeders who follow the law. What a surprise.

Whats more they were pushing for this to be introduced within a heartbeat of this starting on the gold coast before anyone had any idea whether it would have a positive or negative impact .

Edited by Steve

the gold coast permit is for 3 years and you can keep entire bitches with out obtaining the permit but you are required to get it before you breed. I live on a average size block, don't have a kennel set up, my dogs are basically house dogs and my home was approved.

I have to agree that there doesn't appear to be any checks done on those advertising without the permit but i guess like everything if the council don't have the staff the do this it gets pushed aside for other issues.

the gold coast permit is for 3 years and you can keep entire bitches with out obtaining the permit but you are required to get it before you breed. I live on a average size block, don't have a kennel set up, my dogs are basically house dogs and my home was approved.

I have to agree that there doesn't appear to be any checks done on those advertising without the permit but i guess like everything if the council don't have the staff the do this it gets pushed aside for other issues.

Yes thank you I knew it was three years and not one - dont know why I wrote one year but unless the finer details have been changed from when I last looked at it - which is entirely possible because its been a while one of our members had to go through issues when she applied for the licence. Will see if I can contact her over the next few days to follow up.

Edited by Steve

http://www.goldcoast...code-practice(1).pdf

Would appear there is no specification on when you intend to breed so this person was told if she ever intended to breed the bitch she required a permit now when she went to register her.,When she applied for the permit her residence was knocked back due to the size of her bitch and the property .

Might depend on who you speak with I guess but the wording doesnt say you dont need a licence until you are ready to breed the bitch.

Breeder Code of Practice

In July 2009, the State Government introduced new legislation for all pet owners in Queensland. The changes include compulsory registration and micro-chipping of cats and dogs by the time they reach the age of 12 weeks.

This legislation requires residents who own an entire cat or dog, and breed, or intend to breed, to hold a breeder permit. The permit requirements are designed to encourage keepers of cats and dogs to consider their responsibilities. This ensures the current oversupply of cats and dogs and euthanasia rates are kept to a minimum on the Gold Coast.

Breeder permits are required for residents who breed from their pet, those who breed as hobby breeders and those who have commercial breeding establishments.

If you breed or intend to breed your cat or dog, you are required to obtain a breeder permit from Council and comply with the Breeder Code of Practice.

Compliance with the Breeder Code of Practice demonstrates your commitment to the responsible care and management of cats and dogs within our city.

For further information, contact Council Animal Management on (07) 5581 6664.

Edited by Steve

when the council first proposed the scheme there was a meeting held for dogs Queensland member to explain it and for us to ask questions.

The permit was to be issued based on the size of the breed and the premises they were to be kept on, so someone with a large breed may not be able to keep as many dogs as someone with a smaller breed.

From memory the maximum number of dogs allowed to be kept was 8 but i can't remember how many breeding animal were allowed with in that number. (each permit is issued with different allowed numbers)

The point of difference between the breeders permit and an application to have additional dogs was that the breeders permit was for any dog intended to be used for breeding purposes, the dog is not named on the permit. Which meant if i purchased a pup with the intention of breeding and then at a later date removed the dog from the breeding program either by rehoming or desexing i was still able to to obtain another dog for breeding as long as i don't go over my allocated number and i am not required to make any changes to the permit. (normal council registration still applies)

hope this makes sense, i'm a bit fuzzy in the head today.

I haven't had any issues registering my entire bitches, in fact one is registered at my parents address and they haven't had issues either. If i was questioned i would say they are show bitches and don't mention breeding.

Moreton Bay Regional Council also has breeders licences and you are meant to quote the number when advertising litters.

I did not think this was a trial though - I thought this was the rules going forward. When I applied for my breeders licence someone came and inspected my property. I do not believe there is an expiry date on this permit. If you register you dogs it is worth getting as I pay the desexed rates. But if you are someone who does not register your dogs anyway, why would you apply for the Breeders licences!!

I agree that sometimes these rules do not capture the people they are intended to.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pilot program on the gold coast - anyone who owns an entire dog is supposed to go to council and get approval to breed it and they inspect the property and give a yes or no. This has to be renewed every year. They also have to give their licence numbers in all ads.

So we have one member who owns a CC champion bitch. She isnt ready to breed her yet and wont until she moves to a larger property but in order to keep her entire she has to get a breeders licence which they wont approve as her home has been ruled out for breeding.

Then 12 months later we go and look at the local papers and not one of them had a breeders licence number with puppies advertised. When we went to the council to ask why the answer was that they had no ability or resources to police it.

So the only people who are compliant are those that were doing the right thing anyway any one who has too many or who live in small housing allotments etc or who want to keep entire dogs simply dont register their dogs.Anyone breeding any old dog advertises them where they want anyway .Its only dummies like CC registered breeders who follow the law. What a surprise.

Whats more they were pushing for this to be introduced within a heartbeat of this starting on the gold coast before anyone had any idea whether it would have a positive or negative impact .

I live in Moreton Shire Council and previously known as Pine Rivers. I have been here now 10 years approximately and in all this time, we have had to have a breeder's permit issued by the council to breed. We needed to get the signatures of all the neighbouring property owners to state they did not have any objections to dog breeding here. The application cost was some hundred and something dollars (non refundable if refused) I was still subject to dog limit numbers associated with my block size (5acres or 20,000 sqm) - at the time it was 6 dogs by right and 8 with permit. Now it is 4 by right and 6 with a permit.

I required to have my property inspected by the Local Laws officer and he required to know where the food was stored, inspected the kennels, what was done with the poo etc. Subject of course to any complaints received to council by neighbours re barking, smell etc. Renewable yearly with spot yearly inspections.

In order to get a "breeder's permit" you were required to be a registered breeder with Canine Control or with similar controlling body for greyhounds. Each dog must be registered with Council.

Recently I believe it has changed slightly to allow Back Yard Breeders - I believe they still have to comply to rules and regs and I also believe they may have to pay more for their breeder's permit.

I was an Animal Laws Officer in Ipswich. Ipswich have some of the strictest dog rules around. They allowed less dog numbers per block size. Again some hefty application fee for excess dog numbers which was non refundable if refused. The problem there is the dogs had to be registered but you could only register two and the third (or fourth) was subject to the permit and if it was refused you were expected to get rid of the excess animals.... (Yeah right - who would willingly be doing this?). You could not apply for the permit before moving into the council area which made it hard for anyone moving from interstate or of distance. They never had a breeders permit like Moreton or Brisbane councils while I was there, but I believe they were looking at adopting Moreton's model as I was leaving.

While living in Brisbane City Council - pay some two hundred dollars, and you get your permit. No inspections. You still have to register all animals and number was capped at 4 animals.

The problem existed previously with Back Yard Breeders is they were ineligible to get a breeders prefix. So they bred happily (and still do) under the legislative radar. They have no governing body in which to adhere to any guidelines on how many litters/year and generally advertise on free websites. While a LL officer - many do not register their dogs with council as it will cost some $80-$100/year to register entire animals (whereas breeder permits allow you to pay the desexed rate of about $20-$40/dog). It is only when complaint is received for noise, smell or excess numbers that council generally gets involved and depending on whether there are excess numbers, fines may or may not be issued. The dogs were required to be registered,and if they were in the appointed time. Council was happy.

Moreton Bay Regional Council also has breeders licences and you are meant to quote the number when advertising litters.

I did not think this was a trial though - I thought this was the rules going forward. When I applied for my breeders licence someone came and inspected my property. I do not believe there is an expiry date on this permit. If you register you dogs it is worth getting as I pay the desexed rates. But if you are someone who does not register your dogs anyway, why would you apply for the Breeders licences!!

I agree that sometimes these rules do not capture the people they are intended to.

Permit is renewed annually - think around September. It's not hefty. Think my renewal last year was around $30.

• 4 weeks later...

I applied for the GCCC breeder's permit and I am happy to have it. If we educate the public to buy from registered breeders who are happy to have their premises inspected and their dogs assessed we "steer" them away from those who are flying below the radar. I believe that was part of the council's agenda too. They do not have the resources to check every breeder, but they do check advertisements for litters and if they sound "dodgy" will check the breeder. It is not perfect but it is a step in the right direction.