Would A Vet Do This?

Have a long haired Border Collie with some massive long matted hair on her belly between her rear legs.

Have tried to cut with scissors, but the problem is she doesn't like you touching them and the matt is so thick you cant cut through it, so have to try to get above it right next to the belly.

She wraps her tail under making it more difficult and ends up flopping on her belly to make you stop.

So before I approach my vet, do you think they would knock her out and cut them off or would that seem too risky just for matted hair.

I realise there is always a risk putting a dog under.

I tried a professional groomer but they had the same problem I had.

Thanks for the replies will go and talk to the receptionist.

The matts were caused I think when she was desexed and not trimmed off adequately and now they have just grown.

The matts were caused I think when she was desexed and not trimmed off adequately and now they have just grown.

Sounds like now is a perfect time to get this girl used to having her belly /rear end brushed and groomed to stop them happening again! ! :)

To get her used to this being a pleasant thing ...start her on tummy rubs /massage of her back legs /tail ...with treats if you use them .

After some days .., if she is relaxed ....then use a brush .... then use a harder brush , and firmer strokes ..When shes comfortable with this ..use a wide toothed comb .... :)