Hiccups And Sweaty Paws?

Mthetealady

I am hoping that neither of these things is an issue, but would like to see what other puppy owners have experienced with their puppy. Nellie is now 11 weeks old. She is an absolute ball of incredible energy and mischief and there are two 'quirks' (I hope they are just quirks) that we have noticed with her. The first is that she hiccups a lot, especially after/during play sessions and frequently after she has finished eating her meals (which she guzzles down like they are going out of style).

I have started feeding her from a rubber food dispensing toy to slow her down, which also gives her some 'brain play' while she works out how to get the toy to dispense her food. This seems to help with her hiccups a little, although she still gets a hiccup attack about 5 times a day. I asked the vet about the hiccups and he said it was nothing to be concerned about.

The other issue, which I have only noticed in the last day or two, is that she has clammy (sweaty?) paws. Our previous Dal never had clammy paws like this - I am hoping that it is just a puppy thing, or just something to do with Nellie and not a health issue? The only reason I have noticed it is because we have taught her to shake hands and when she puts each paw into our hands, we can feel that they are a little bit clammy. Her nose seems nice and cool and wet, and it isn't hot here at all, so I don't think she could be feeling overheated...Is it anything to worry about?

Is she licking her paws? Maybe have a look in the paw itself, to see if there is any redness, sometimes a dog can get an allergic reaction to plants, lawn etc and their paws can get itchy.

Dogs do sweat through their paws but if it hasn't been hot, you wouldn't think that it is sweat.

Yep I remember just over a year ago posting a very similar thread about my boxer. No hiccups but sweaty paws. Everywhere he went he left a little trail of damp paw marks. I was told it was pretty normal for some dogs. Now he is 18 months and I don't even notice sweaty paws. Maybe it's a puppy thing?

:) thanks for all the replies. A couple of days on, she is still hiccuping occasionally, but I think it might be just an odd puppy thing. She seems totally fine in herself and tromps about happily when she gets a bout of the hiccups.

The sweaty paws...have not returned...I noticed them the afternoon after she had her booster for her immunisation shots and I am still a bit concerned that it might have been a reaction. :confused: I am going to mention it to the vet when I go back in a month, but everyone here has also reassured me that it is ok for a puppy to have sweaty paws.

@Korbin13 I think the allergy sounds possible, although she seemed oblivious to it. There was no licking of paws or anything like that. I also think if she were allergic to grass or a cleaning agent we use on our floors, we would still be seeing the same symptoms, as her environment has not altered. Fingers crossed that if it was a reaction to her shot, that she won't suffer any worse effects with the next one!