The Dogs That Stay Even When They Go

mixeduppup

I've trained and sold plenty of working dogs before and it's always a bit sad to see a dog you've spent so much time with and bonded to leave. I normally feel a mixture of sadness, excitement and anxiousness when they leave. Flick was a little different. I got her and her sister from a friend who had bred her but due to time and work commitments gave them to me. I sold her sister pretty much immediately but Flick was a bit different so I held on to her as i was in two minds about selling her. I spent a lot of time training and playing with her and she developed into a wonderful young dog. I finally decided that she wasn't exactly my type and with puppies planned for this year I wouldn't be able to spend as much time as she needed on training. I put her up for sale and had HEAPS of calls. I said no to so many people as they didn't seem right. Then I got a call last week and this person was everything I was looking for in an owner. He came out this morning and watched her work and really loved her and she really loved him. I finally felt OK about letting her go but now that she's gone, even though I know she's in the right hands I still feel really sad, sadder than usual. It's funny that the ones we get attached to are usually the ones we never even planned owning. I know she'll have a great life and she's close enough for me to visit. I guess she was just a surprise and I'll miss her being around.

P4140349.jpg

P4140346.jpg