Oscar's Law

Sares

My biggest concern with any of the Animal Rights movements (such as Oscar's Law group) - is that it is aimed at putting more government control over breeding and selling of animals. There are already laws in every council and shire (at least in Victoria not sure about other states) for:

- all dogs must be microchipped and registered with council.

- restriction of the number of dogs allowed to be housed on a given property

- you need a permit to house any greater number of dogs than permitted (for example a family with a few extra dogs or a VCA breeder with less than 9 fertile bitches)- this requires placing an application which is then processed and then gaining council approval which council may add conditions -

- if you wish to run a business such as commercial dog breeding you must apply for a permit as an animal business this must go thru approval again with public scrutiny and if granted, then conditions applied - one of these conditions on all animal business' is that council can come onto the premises to inspect (although reasonable notice might be needed).

Many conditions imposed on commercial animal business cover similar to boarding kennels with regard to space per dog, amount of exercise, disposal of faeces etc.

So it would appear that there is already plenty of rules and regulations in place that allow the authorities to control puppy farms - the big problem is ( it would appear ) that the current laws are not being policed by anyone - if council have a report made about a person housing too many dogs then they should check to see if they have a permit, perhaps be inspected - if council is given an address for someone who is breeding masses of litters each year then surely they can go and check.

After all our council charges $140 per annum fee for every entire dog or bitch, so surely councils are missing out on revenue for these dogs if permits are not held.....

So back to my concern.... more laws will only affect the breeders who are already trying to do the right thing.... the breeders who have been microchipping for years.... the breeders who have started a program of health testing and recording.....the breeders who vet the families in an attempt to educate the new owners on the responsibility of owning a dog.

Edited by alpha bet

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be following this thread simply because of the lack of information Oscars law has. If someone know's something more about what they want that would be good to know!

Maybe you should ask the Oscar's Law people? They should be happy to tell you what they are about, surely?

LOL. Yes just ask on facebook and see how fast your questions get deleted.

THIS!!!

I got into a "discussion" on their FB page about the "don't buy while a shelter dog dies" saying. Trust me when I say THEY ARE NOT SUPPORTIVE OF ETHICAL PURE BRED DOG BREEDERS, no matter what their website states!!! They despise us and think we are the devil.

My argument is this: If we stop ALL ethical dog breeding until the last shelter/unhomed dog finds a home, what then? If it takes years, what then? They are effectively supporting the extinction of many many pure bred dogs, and they expect people to support them!! Bugger that!!!

Not one single person on their FB page could answer my questions. Not one person on their FB page could give me a solution to wiping out entire pure bred breeds and for my troubles I was deleted!!

For that reason I refuse to support Oscars Law.