Thinking About My Next Breed... Shortlist Now Chosen!

Hi all! Haven't posted for quite a long time, but I've been lurking and reading. Haven't really had anything worth saying you see :laugh:

Anyway, now I have left the world of study and am seeking a full time job to be a functioning member of society I can start thinking about getting another dog. It will be a while before I get this hypothetical dog, possibly a year or more, as I take time to settle my life down first. I'm lucky that my folks are brilliant and are letting me stay at home until I save money to afford the deposit of my own house, however long that may be! It will take a lot less time since I won't be paying rent, and it provides stability for me which is a huge bonus.

So yeah, reason I'm thinking about a new breed is that as much as I love my current dog, and I love the Italian Greyhound breed, her size and fragility is proving to be a big stresser and walking her is a nightmare because I am constantly worried about a large offlead dog crashing into her or attacking her and hurting/killing her. I don't mind that she can't be off lead herself, as a high prey drive dog, but I literally can't take her anywhere, even walking on the footpath in the suburbs, without there being a 50/50 chance of running into an offlead dog. It seems like most NZr owners have no clue these days, at least in my town. Plus I am starting to notice there is a lot of politics and bad blood in the breed, despite its rarity here and I don't want any part of it. It's hard enough starting out in the pure bred dog world for a young person without all that nonsense, and in such a small breed its impossible to avoid really. I know its present in every breed but sheesh, most people trying to start showing would of bailed by now. I love showing so much luckily!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to just get rid of Breeze, she'll stay with me, or with my folks if that's better for her (she and the family dog are very tight and I do worry about separating them?).

I really want to find THE BREED, the one that I will become very passionate about and love to have, show and breed and hopefully put my mark on it's history here, I've researched a lot, but sometimes it seems like info you read isn't how it actually is living with them. (for example everything I read about IG's said they were calm in the house, quiet, didn't need much exercise and barely shed or didn't shed at all, HA tell that to my girl when she's hooning around at 7pm at night, yapping up a storm with her horrible high pitched bark, goes for 2 long walks a day and still isn't satisfied and all the white hairs stuck all over the carpet, furniture and our clothes! Her hugs make up for it though :laugh:) I really like sighthounds, and the ones of met from all sorts of breeds at shows have all been very nice dogs. I met my first Ibizan Hound a few months ago (there is only two in the country apparently)as well as a Pharaoh Hound and I really liked them, and borzoi always make me oooo and ahhh. I am open to all breeds however. I've worked in a boarding kennels with big dogs and at the SPCA for years so I've got experience with quite a variety.

My criteria at the moment:

-Larger than say a beagle, or a stafford, for my own peace of mind mostly, and because I'd love to have a big dog again (grew up with German Shepherds, mum and dad used to show and breed), I don't mind any size from medium to giant.

-Okay with other dogs, either friendly or indifferent. The family Border Terrier is very dog aggressive and I'd rather not deal with it again, especially a bigger dog. Obviously each individual is different, but breeds known for dog aggression are out.

-I like dogs that are affectionate and friendly with their people, and bond with the owner but I don't think I could deal with the ones that literally demand attention all the time. I just looked after a lab for the night and he was constantly harassing me for attention and following me around the whole time I was there, and would bark, paw, poke and whine when I wasn't patting him. Couldn't deal with that every day. I need the dog to be able to cope with being alone sometimes, at least with another dog there, so breeds known for separation anxiety are probably out too.

- Coat wise I don't mind as long as it doesn't require hand stripping! Grooming the Border for the show ring was agony, never again! :laugh: I would rather not have a heavy shedder if I can avoid it, but I'm not completely opposed to it if the breed fits other parts. I am happy to learn the grooming for the right breed. Don't know if I'm up to poodle level show grooming though haha.

-Exercise level doesn't bother me, although I don't want anything that's really hyper or loony, I don't mind dogs that can be a bit silly or a clown sometimes though, that's part of the fun. I'm happy to go for one shorter walk or multiple long runs. More exercise is probably better because I probably could use it myself and having a dog that needs it will make me go out. I wouldn't mind doing some lure coursing with a sighthound, or agility with another breed. I tried with the Border but he wasn't interested in agility at all. One of my friends hunts rabbit and duck and her friends and their dogs are always welcome, so for some breeds I'm sure that would be fantastic too. I liked teaching tricks and obedience to the Border, but I'm happy with breeds like my IG that don't really care for it too.

-I'd like a breed that is calm and quiet in the house to a degree. I don't mind some noise (the frequency of noise the IG makes is fine, its the pitch of her bark that kills me) but breeds that are known yappers are a no go. Barking for a reason is okay, I don't mind a good watch dog.

- Less health problems associated with them the better

- It doesn't matter if the breed is known to be good with kids or not, I don't like them myself, and can't have them anyway, so it doesn't bother me either way. Strangers are the same, as long as they aren't going to be outright aggressive to them, I'm good.

- I like breeds that are a little more unusual but that's just a completely selfish preference and doesn't really matter.

-Bonus if there are great breeders that are willing to be a mentor (overseas or otherwise) to someone in the breed.

This is long enough already and I can't think of anything else right now, will add to it as needed.

Edited by kiwifeathers

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where in NZ are you? Did you meet Tina's Ibizan and Pharaoh?

How about whippets? Sighthound, short coat, medium size, trainable (there are a few doing agility/obedience around) and they're affectionate! They are common though!

I would suggest Dobe (they're awesome) but they're an unhealthy breed!

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever? They're a bit different, though I don't think there are any breeders in NZ.

I think many of the other gundog breeds could work too! Otherwise, get an Azawakh, just so there is one in NZ for me to swoon over :p

Edited by DiscoDobe

Where in NZ are you? Did you meet Tina's Ibizan and Pharaoh?

How about whippets? Sighthound, short coat, medium size, trainable (there are a few doing agility/obedience around) and they're affectionate! They are common though!

I would suggest Dobe (they're awesome) but but they're an unhealthy breed!

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever? They're a bit different, though I don't think there are any breeders in NZ.

Blenheim currently, been in Nelson, Welly and Christchruch though! I've been a bit of a wanderer lol.

Yes, it was Tina's pair, I'd been trying to speak to her for a few shows because I was curious about the breeds, but she's always so busy but got a chance for a quick pat at a CHCH show and that Ibizan was such a sweetie, and a leaner!

I've looked at Whippets, but all the ones I've met at shows have been very bland and personality-less. I like a bit of life in dogs. I imagine they are different at home but it put me off them a bit. I'm sure if I looked at them a bit harder and met some in a different environment I would probably like them. I'll keep them in mind. I don't really mind how common a breed is, its just I do have a taste for the unusual but its not really a deciding factor, just a bonus.

I've always had dobes in the back of my mind but haven't interacted with them much, certainly like the look of them. I imagine getting one from a very good breeder is important, for both health and temperament?

NSDTR? Huh never even thought about them... I have met one person with a couple once but have never seen them again, not even at shows. Probably would have to import one (which I'm not opposed to at all) I'll have a closer look at them.

Thanks for the suggestions. A bit more to add to my list.

could always do with another greyhound person in NZ :D

I love all the ex-racers I've met, only seen just 2 show bred dogs from afar! Again, surprisingly one I haven't looked at as much. How much to show bred greys usually go for over there, out of curiosity? I guess it would be one I'd have to import? Are they being bred here at all to your knowledge? Is there any difference between the show and racing dogs, build and temperament wise?

Whippet. Strong breed in NZ too. :)

You can always try for one of the less common colours.

Bland? You need to meet my dogs.:laugh: Mind you, they're not usually jumping about at shows because its just another day at the office for them. Personally I find the Pharoahs and Ibizans too primitive in termperament for my taste. But you probably need to meet more of each.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Blenheim currently, been in Nelson, Welly and Christchruch though! I've been a bit of a wanderer lol.

Yes, it was Tina's pair, I'd been trying to speak to her for a few shows because I was curious about the breeds, but she's always so busy but got a chance for a quick pat at a CHCH show and that Ibizan was such a sweetie, and a leaner!

I've looked at Whippets, but all the ones I've met at shows have been very bland and personality-less. I like a bit of life in dogs. I imagine they are different at home but it put me off them a bit. I'm sure if I looked at them a bit harder and met some in a different environment I would probably like them. I'll keep them in mind. I don't really mind how common a breed is, its just I do have a taste for the unusual but its not really a deciding factor, just a bonus.

I've always had dobes in the back of my mind but haven't interacted with them much, certainly like the look of them. I imagine getting one from a very good breeder is important, for both health and temperament?

NSDTR? Huh never even thought about them... I have met one person with a couple once but have never seen them again, not even at shows. Probably would have to import one (which I'm not opposed to at all) I'll have a closer look at them.

Thanks for the suggestions. A bit more to add to my list.

I agree that the whippets I have met at breed shows have seemed a bit bland, but the ones I have met out lure coursing and through agility have been pretty wild :)

I love her pharaoh, such a cool dog! My girl Elsie is obsessed with all of Tina's dogs haha :)

Yes a good breeder is very important in Dobes, health is the biggest problem in the breed. Don't really see too many temperament issues among confo/agility people's dobes, but have seen some pretty fearful ones picked up cheap off trademe. There are some lovely breeders in NZ, and Aussie too if you're open to importing.

could always do with another greyhound person in NZ :D

I love all the ex-racers I've met, only seen just 2 show bred dogs from afar! Again, surprisingly one I haven't looked at as much. How much to show bred greys usually go for over there, out of curiosity? I guess it would be one I'd have to import? Are they being bred here at all to your knowledge? Is there any difference between the show and racing dogs, build and temperament wise?

There was a litter born around 3 years ago but nothing since and I'm not sure if the person intends to breed again. My last litter were $1200. I don't see any difference in temperament but show greys are usually longer, taller, deeper in the chest. We need more people to keep the breed going in this part of the world but that applies to the beezers too.

Basset Hounds tick every single one of your boxes. If you want a dog sport to be involved in you could look in to tracking.

Wow so many breeds I've never even considered! What are they like to live with? I guess they drool quite a bit? Big thing with the long breeds is I'd be worried about them hurting their backs somehow, does it happen often?

Bassets are a large breed with short legs not like a dach who has a stretched back so no real back issues. She's great to live with, potters around the house with the kids but she runs so fast when I throw the ball for the kelpie, like a little bullet LOL. She doesn't drool other than the odd fleck if she's been running or swimming and has a shake, other than that not drooly at all. They are a little bit stubborn but she wasn't hard to train really. I always say they are all the happy of a beagle but with less crazy and they can't jump fences :)

Basset Hounds tick every single one of your boxes. If you want a dog sport to be involved in you could look in to tracking.

Tracking only trials have just started up in the south island this year too, so could be a good option!

Wow so many breeds I've never even considered! What are they like to live with? I guess they drool quite a bit? Big thing with the long breeds is I'd be worried about them hurting their backs somehow, does it happen often?

I think you should look at a Borzoi, FANTASTIC dogs !!!!

I think you should look at a Borzoi, FANTASTIC dogs !!!!

Well I do gush every time I see one! Stunning dogs. I've made friends with a trio that do many of the same shows I do to the point where they now drag their owners over haha

Whippet. Strong breed in NZ too. :)

You can always try for one of the less common colours.

Bland? You need to meet my dogs.:laugh: Mind you, they're not usually jumping about at shows because its just another day at the office for them. Personally I find the Pharoahs and Ibizans too primitive in termperament for my taste. But you probably need to meet more of each.

They are indeed, very competitive in the ring. I love some of the colours you see in whippets, once saw the most amazing brindle and white. :)

Haha no offense intended! :laugh: As I said, they are probably different when not at shows, I guess they just have their game faces on, or they aren't interested in meeting with strangers, which is fine.

What do you mean by primitive in temperament, if you don't mind me asking? Pretty hard to meet more of each when I can count the number of both breed put together in the country on one hand! :laugh: It does make deciding if they are for me a bit tricky...

Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Aunty has one and its a nasty piece of work. Nice with the family and people she knows but super dog and stranger aggressive, she's rushed and bitten people. Then again so was its mother, my mum worked with the breeder and we used to go see the puppies when she had litters. I don't know if they are all like that but its put me right off them. I like the look of them, and Activity level wise I like them though, after nice big walks she's done and just lies around in the sun for the rest of the day.

even a dobermann fits the criteria. But Im biased.

Do love the sharp look of a nice dobe! Again I haven't really been around any. What are they like to live with?

I suppose the critiera is a little general but I'm not sure what else to put to narrow it down... I think everyone on here is probably biased for their own breed!