Puppy Crate Training From Day 1

VonnieBelle

I live in an apartment so I don't have a space for him outside. I've got his pen set up with his pad in one corner, his food away from it in another corner and in another corner is where his crate goes during the day.

I guess I'll just keep trying... :)

Honestly, I'd put the pee pad further away so as not to confuse the "living area" and "toileting area", especially when you're home to take him to his toilet place.

Really? So maybe for when we're home have the pad in the bathroom? And we just take him there the whole time for toilet?

Can I still leave one in the pen for if we're not home? Will he make the connection between what he's peed/pood on in the bathroom with the one in the pen?

When you're not there he is more likely to eat or play with the pee pad than actually use it to pee on :p

My first pup is now just over 18 months, and she's trained to go on pee pads or outside as I've since moved to a house with a yard, but when I was in the apartment and pee pad training her, I had pee pads in several rooms and she would use all (any) of them. I trained her to pee on command, so that helped as well. She got a treat everytime she peed on the pad, and I said "bathroom" when she was peeing, now I say "bathroom" and she pees.

I actually had her pee pad trained TOO well and when she was little she wouldn't pee on grass or outside, I had to take a pee pad wherever I went :rofl:

Put the pee pad where you want to be for his whole life (or, the whole time you are living there). Will you keep the play pen forever, even when he's grown? If not, pick a spot for the pee pad where you want, whether it's a laundry or bathroom or corner of a room. non-carpets are best because as he gets older and starts lifting his leg his aim will get wonky :p