Photographic Equipment As Carry On Baggage On Planes

gapvic

Hi all,

I'm off to northern NSW next week for nine days and I'd like to take as much of my camera stuff as possible lol. Stupidly I've only booked for carry on luggage. We fly up with Qantas and back with Virgin. Has anyone got any tips as to how you can carry on your camera etc without having to pack it in your bag? And tripod?? My tripod is large but I'd hate to go without it :-(. Any hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Larissa

LOL I have to take my clothes as well so my little carry on suitcase won't have any room for camera equipment. I've checked the airlines websites and they are quite vague about things like tripods but you can take a musical instrument?? My camera bag is about the same size as the carry on suitcase so too large to qualify as a handbag etc. Hopefully the tripod can be made to go smaller than I think :)

Stick your camera around your neck with your lens on it and walk on board. I've done this once before with a ticket that was carry on only and a certain baggage weight. Yeah you look like a dickhead but who cares - it's on your person and then once on board you can pack it away. I didn't attach my 300mm though but I could have :laugh:

You could take a smaller bag to fit in the larger bag you are carrying and then unwrap your camera/lens combo from your neck and place them the smaller bag once on board. Hell, just stick lenses all about your body - wear a baggy jacket and place a lens in each pocket, one in the side pocket of some cargos, - you get the picture. That will free up some space in your carry on luggage.

Edited by Ripley

I work for Qantas. You can only take two pieces of carry on baggage on board, but depending on the crew at the gate, people get on with three pieces regularly. They shouldn't, but they do. If your flight is not full the crew are likely to be more lenient. The tripod however, I don't know. Check the dimensions on the website. No carry on item is meant to be over 7kg but really, we never weigh them. There are scales there at the top of the gate where we scan your boarding pass so it is possibly but rarely ever happens. A tip - we are far more likely to "pick on" somebody's carry on baggage if they are rude or angry or generally unpleasant to us in some way, so smile at your flight attendant! And reply when they greet you! :) The other option is booking an extra seat next to you for something fragile/valuable. Be aware that if you do get a cranky flight attendant at the top of the gate who simply will not allow your bag for whatever reason (too big or too many) then it MUST be placed in the hold under the plane, and if you are late to board there may be no time and it will go on the next flight. You can't buy the extra ticket at that stage. Good luck!

Thanks guys :) . I think I'm too scared to risk it with the big tripod - I've got a small cheap one that will do that I can fit in my luggage. Will do as you suggest Ripley and carry the lens in my pockets etc!

Cassie, I've never had my carry on luggage weighed either until the last time I flew to Tassie where there were staff down near where you board weighing everything. I was over so had to wear quite a lot of extra clothing onto the plane :laugh:

Hmm I had paid for baggage but on a flight to Adelaide to Perth, I had no issue with carry on bag + laptop + dSLR camera + video camera :rofl:.

I will say my utility metal article that I had in my carry on however proved a little confusing and perplexing for the x-ray guys though :laugh:.

Edited by ness

You could also contact them and find out how extra to add baggage. It may be easier and make life les stressful.

No way I could manage a 9 day trip without check in bags even without camera gear as wel, so I am impressed you think you can. LOL

Correct me if I am wrong but baggage is included in the price with Qantas?

With Virgin you can pay for baggage on the day of the flight. Sometimes they waive that fee though.

Thanks guys, will check with the airlines. We tend to travel light, and we are only staying in two locations - Brisbane one night then Coffs Harbour the rest, and we have an apartment there with washing machine and dryer so I can wash our clothes.