Diced Chicken

Found these at Woollies today and thought they'd make great treats

post-10374-137135829624_thumb.jpg

Treats as in training treats or just one or two a day for being good, type treats :confused: If being used for training treats, I would say, too much salt & too expensive compared to just getting some chicken & cutting it up. Bar-b-q chooks make up heaps of treats & would be a lot cheaper, if you want to use chook, but also contains a fair bit of salt, I imagine.

Found these at Woollies today and thought they'd make great treats

post-10374-137135829624_thumb.jpg

Treats as in training treats or just one or two a day for being good, type treats :confused: If being used for training treats, I would say, too much salt & too expensive compared to just getting some chicken & cutting it up. Bar-b-q chooks make up heaps of treats & would be a lot cheaper, if you want to use chook, but also contains a fair bit of salt, I imagine.

The pack says "salt reduced" & "100% preservative free", so much better than a lot of other training treats.

And yes, training treats, as that's the only time my dogs get treats. Also, my dogs don't get a massive amount of treats when training so a 125gm bag will last a week and at $4.00 not really an expensive treat :)

I've tried making my own liver and chicken treats and yes, I know they're cheaper and probably healthier, but how many of us have gone to the fridge or freezer to pull out the training treats and there's none left! This is quick, easy and I've tasted them and they're defininately not too spicy - I don't like spicy food :o

My dog isn't food driven so I normally use a ball for training but when I'm doing ringwork training it's not always appreciated by others if I use a ball as a reward. That's when I need to pull out an extra special food treat - and this type of treat 'might' be what I'm looking for.

ETA it's JUST a suggestion, you don't have to try it :)

As long as you weren't giving too much, I don't see why not. I would't buy them myself, as I make up a batch of about 2 - 3 kilos of a time of different sorts & freeze them. With two dogs they only last a couple of weeks as we mainly train with food. I also use their Black Hawk kibble as treats, they like that just as much. :) But I like to give them variety.

Edited by sheena

I am using a lot of treats in training at this point. I'm actually starting to not feed her dinner now due to the amount I give her, so quality of treats has become a big issue. What are you using Sheena? Cooked chicken breast? I am interested in all non processed ideas.

I am using a lot of treats in training at this point. I'm actually starting to not feed her dinner now due to the amount I give her, so quality of treats has become a big issue. What are you using Sheena? Cooked chicken breast? I am interested in all non processed ideas.

Why not use her dinner for training "treats" ?

As long as you weren't giving too much, I don't see why not. I would't buy them myself, as I make up a batch of about 2 - 3 kilos of a time of different sorts & freeze them. With two dogs they only last a couple of weeks as we mainly train with food. I also use their Black Hawk kibble as treats, they like that just as much. :) But I like to give them variety.

The problem my dog has with kibble is that she takes sooooooo long to eat one piece that by the time she's finished she has no idea why it was given in the first place. The fact that she's not food-driven ensures she will never have too much of any treat, BUT when she does receive a treat it has to be soft (easy/quick to eat) and stong tasting. I suppose that's the disadvantage of having a dog that's not food driven. She's a relatively lean dog so it's not that she eats so much at mealtime that she has no interest in treats :shrug:

The full list is In this Link, but last time I made a batch, cut them up, mixed them together & put them in the freezer...I made...VIP Lamb chunkers fried in garlic & oil, beef liver sliced about 1cm thick & roasted slowly in the oven till nice & leathery, some old thin sausages fried up (can be cooked in with the others), When cool mix them all together including a couple of cups of their favourite kibble. I try to cut them up as small as possible but that's not necessary as they are easy enough to break apart when using them. Also sometimes I will boil up some hearts or bake an extra piece of meat when preparing our baked dinner. The Lamb Chunkers once fried up are very easy to handle & not at all greasy, so they are always part of the mix.

The problem my dog has with kibble is that she takes sooooooo long to eat one piece that by the time she's finished she has no idea why it was given in the first place. The fact that she's not food-driven ensures she will never have too much of any treat, BUT when she does receive a treat it has to be soft (easy/quick to eat) and stong tasting. I suppose that's the disadvantage of having a dog that's not food driven. She's a relatively lean dog so it's not that she eats so much at mealtime that she has no interest in treats :shrug:

The Black Hawk kibble is very tiny, just the right size for treats, & the dogs love it. If you email to BH they will send you a sample that you can use.

O wow Sheena, that's awesome inforation "D Thankyou. Nice to have a good mix of stuff too, Jarrah loves the novel, much more compelling for her when different types of treat come out. I am learning to not be boring for her in that way now.

I've been using the roast turkey rolls in the meat section, cut up into small chunks. They have a long use by date on them, are easy to cut up and don't crumble like roast chicken does.

A little on the dear side, but I only use them when I need some high value treats, and comparable to cheap steak at $10/kg which needs to be cooked, cooled and then cut up. My guys all love dry food for treats as they don't normally get it. Problem is most of the grain free ones are too small for my boofy hands. The new VIP grain free one in Safeway is perfect size though, just hope it's better quality than it sounds. :o