Helping Heart Health

JayB

Hi All,

I have two Cav's and I'm hoping to give them the best chance of having excellent heart health for as long as possible. I've heard a lot about both fish oil and making sure they have a good amount of animal protein (we feed them boiled chicken and homecooked food as well as raw bones/chicken necks as a treat, so they should be getting a really good amount!)

Mostly wondering about the fish oil/omega 3's? Is it okay to use human oils in their food if I work out the right dosage for their weights? Are there any other supplements etc that support heart health that you know of?

Thanks so much in advance, looking forward to getting a little more educated on this side of things :)

:) if your dogs are healthy , My suggestion would be to feed a good variety of RAW meats - red , white, plus oily fish like mackerel/sardines (cans) ..and lots of edible bone, like chicken wings/turkey necks/lamb flaps plus a small amount of veg/fruit :) ..that way they get a good variety of nutrients for all round health . Exercise is good to make the heart muscle strong, too :)

Does your vet have any suggestions? (aside from feeding the commercial food they have on the shelf ;) )

Edited by persephone

:) Just saw the baby puppy photo in the puppy thread ! Very cute!

What did the breeder suggest for Moses in the way of food?

Thank you for the replies everyone!

@Persephone RC Mini Junior kibble is what he's always been on, and we've slowly transitioned him from that alone, to having small amounts of the homecooked veges and bones like the older boy gets as well, which she agreed would be good :)

Dr. Larry Glickman of Purdue seems to have proven that meat is very beneficial to Cavalier hearts - it strengthens the muscles and sinews.

Co enzyme Q10 is also very good for hearts. However, it is better to supplement with the active ingredient (the name of which I have forgotten!!). I would not be giving this to puppies, but I would feed them on raw meat.