Hymen? Or 'stricture'?

sandgrubber

I took one of my girls to be mated a few weeks ago. I didn't think to have Bruccelosis tests done so the stud's owner insisted on doing an AI. (This is my first time doing a mating in the US, and Bruccelosis isn't a problem in Oz). Everyone has their own system for doing AI. This woman put the girl over her knee after insemination and used her finger to prevent semen leakage for 15 minutes (ie, mimicing a tie). She mentioned that my girl had a 'stricture' in the birth canal. From her description, it was membrane-like, and something that could be torn.

Has anyone had experience with such a thing? Is it worth having a vet check it out, or is this pretty common in virgin bitches, and something that will simply push out of the way when pups come through? Do bitches have 'maidenheads'?

(edited in light of comments to, hopefully, draw further comment)

Edited by sandgrubber

One of my girls had a stricture too. She had an AI by the vet & the stricture wasn't noticed. She didn't get pregnant.

Next heat my very experienced stud could not enter so off to the vets we went.

She was given a short aneasthetic & the membrane was broken through.

The next mating the stud also had trouble entering, she was very tight but he did manage to after many tries & a few slip matings. I was scared he would injure himself but he seemed sensible & I didn't let him exhaust himself.

The birth was fine & she has had 2 litters since with no trouble mating or giving birth.

It can be common in some breeds, not in mine usually.

Check with the vet re the birth I don't know if it will break or block. They will know more & may examine to find how tight she is.

If she doesn't get pregnant from the AI get the vet to break it. Its a quick & minor procedure.

I took one of my girls to be mated a few weeks ago. I didn't think to have Bruccelosis tests done so the stud's owner insisted on doing an AI. (This is my first time doing a mating in the US, and Bruccelosis isn't a problem in Oz). Everyone has their own system for doing AI. This woman put the girl over her knee after insemination and used her finger to prevent semen leakage for 15 minutes (ie, mimicing a tie). She mentioned that my girl had a 'stricture' in the birth canal. From her description, it was membrane-like, and something that could be torn.

Has anyone had experience with such a thing? Is it worth having a vet check it out, or is this pretty common in virgin bitches, and something that will simply push out of the way when pups come through?

sounds like a hymen.

Has anyone had experience with such a thing? Is it worth having a vet check it out, or is this pretty common in virgin bitches, and something that will simply push out of the way when pups come through?

sounds like a hymen.

that was my immediate reaction, too. Do bitches have maidenheads?

One of mine was mated normally. Due date for whelping, she went into first stage of labour - but no contractions and no appearance of second stage. Off to the repro vet - caesarian - he said she had a stricture over the entrance of the uterus which prevented pups being born. I am taking her back for an examination and will ask him more then.

I consulted with my vet. Her advice: Virgin bitches are often tight and chances are good that whatever the breeder felt will ease up in the weeks before whelping. If I do anything, she suggested doing a digital exam and an x-ray (to count pups) just before the pups are expected.