Help Please- Urgent

Lexi-Taj

Good evening everyone,

Over the course of the last few months you have all been a wealth of knowledge (even whilst stalking the forums) and I need help from the knowledgeable.

Yesterday we got a second dog a lovely little puppy indie whom in a 12 week old Lab X.

We have had our boy Taj for 5 years, he is also a Lab X (kepie) and is beautiful, happy, friendly, loyal and well trained. We had been thinking of getting a second dog for a while, but had decided to wait.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) last night the decision was taken out of our hands and my husband acquired a second dog. We were not expecting this, and due to circumstances had no time to prepare anything. Our new little one arrived at 9pm last night under stressful circumstances.

Due to the fact we literally had NOTHING ready for little Indie, we had to think on out feet and let Indy use one of Taj's beds last night and this afternoon until hubby could get into town for supplies. They were sort of ok last night, Taj was a little funny but ok-ish considering.

I left for a work trip early this AM, and hubby informs me Taj boy is apparently not happy with a new addition. He has snapped at her (not seriously just growled), he wouldn't really play with Indie outside just briefly then wanted to play fetch with hubby and ignored the pup and now wont go on any of his beds and is acting quite put out.

I dont know if its just because we have had Indy for less than 24 hours, and I might be panicking a little as I am away and can't see whats going on but need some advice/reassurance. Have we ruined Taj and Indies chance at having a good relationship? Will my Taj boy be ok? Will Little Indie be ok? Is this normal and im just being dramatic (because of stress I tells ya)!

Im just panicking slightly as when we were going to get another dog, we had it all planed out, and now POW puppy at a not good time or way! I didn't want to have Taj be so put out, but we had to save little indie. Will my babies be ok? Is this kind of normal?

Please let me know if you have any advice to help (or just reassure me) - also if I have posted this in the correct section.

Edited by Lexi-Taj

Just make sure Taj gets plenty of time AWAY from the pup - he doesn't HAVE to like her , and she is probably being annoying.

Don't leave them unsupervised if you can help it ....

make sure she goes to a vet in teh next day or two for a thorough check if she has not come from somewhere reputable.

Also make sure taj gets his normal routine which does not include pup.

Taj has had his life turned upside down.. you left to go away , there is a ratbag pup in HIS bed... of course he will be a bit upset :)

Thank you so much!

He has every right to be cranky he really does poor thing, i understand that. He is used to me being away on a Tuesday its a work thing ;) so maybe me being away is alright as its his routine.

I just want to help them both. Pup now has her OWN bed thankfully hopefully that will help.

Is it something that will get better over time do you think?

Always keep adult dog & new pup seperate unless you, or another adult is there to supervise. You can't bring a new pup into resident dogs territory & expect the dog to accept it instantly. Go slowly & have seperate place for pup when you are busy or out.

Always keep adult dog & new pup seperate unless you, or another adult is there to supervise. You can't bring a new pup into resident dogs territory & expect the dog to accept it instantly. Go slowly & have seperate place for pup when you are busy or out.

Thank you! I know that i shouldn't expect them to be instant buddies, it was just such a crazy way everything came about and Taj is so special, Indie is too now she's ours

Firstly don't stress, I'm sure it will be fine :)

As the others said give them time apart, ensure pup isn't bothering/annoying Taj and give it some time.

I hope it will be alright, I know its only been 24 hours but still, i worry as I'm not there. I must sound like the biggest dork

:laugh: you don't!

I was really paranoid when we got our second dogthat they wouldn't get along, so I totally understand.

Keep us updated on how it all goes :)

So far in the past 3 hours I have called hubby 3 times for a Pupdate .... I am a dork. A work colleague said to me "if your this bad with the dogs, you'll be ridiculous if you have kids" :( ... its true!

Will keep everyone posted.. Apparently although Indie has her bed, she is still trying to snuggle with Taj, he lets her for a bit, then gets spooked and growls.

When I got Kenzie I had the moment of should I take her back because I thought that my Emma hated her - she was really put out there was a pup in the house! Within 2 weeks she was fine about it and then after about 6 months she was happier to see Kenzie than me!! I think it's pretty normal. Taj has gone from the world revolving around him to now having to share it, of course he's upset. everyone else has given you good advice re space, alone time, etc. that stuff is really important. When I got Hamish, Kenz came to work with me and we did special things so that when I got home Hamish could have some me time and we could all have some together time. Again she hated him for the first 2 days he was home and flattened him every opportunity she got. After 2 days she decided he could stay because he played tug with her, but he wasn't allowed to look at me! Then after a week she figured he was pretty cool and was allowed to be a permanent fixture! now they absolutely adore each other!!! they still love having alone time with me, but they just love spending time together!

When I got Kenzie I had the moment of should I take her back because I thought that my Emma hated her - she was really put out there was a pup in the house! Within 2 weeks she was fine about it and then after about 6 months she was happier to see Kenzie than me!! I think it's pretty normal. Taj has gone from the world revolving around him to now having to share it, of course he's upset. everyone else has given you good advice re space, alone time, etc. that stuff is really important. When I got Hamish, Kenz came to work with me and we did special things so that when I got home Hamish could have some me time and we could all have some together time. Again she hated him for the first 2 days he was home and flattened him every opportunity she got. After 2 days she decided he could stay because he played tug with her, but he wasn't allowed to look at me! Then after a week she figured he was pretty cool and was allowed to be a permanent fixture! now they absolutely adore each other!!! they still love having alone time with me, but they just love spending time together!

Thank you! It's been so good to hear other experiences from other people, and to know things worked out in the end!

We call them pupdates too, haha. I call on my lunch to check in. I think it'll be fiiiiine. Probably a big adjustment, they will work it out. Pup photos please!

Yes pupdates seemed to fit! My neighbor sent me a photo of them playing

Chase in the yard so I'm feeling a little better!

I'll try upload a photo when I get home (I don't know if I can do it from iPhone)

I'm still waiting for Moose and Nacho to get along and it's been 2 months. :laugh:

Moose is becoming more tolerable each week but it has been a slow process. Puppies are super duper annoying so it's to be expected. They are okay unsupervised but only when we're home and not for long periods of time. They're kept separate when we're out.

Good luck with your new pup!

• 2 weeks later...

PUPDATE -

Taj and Indie seem to be getting along much better. He is more relaxed around her and is extremely tollerant towards her. One thing I have noticed is that Indie is now more interested in him than us?? How can I change that? Also she bites him all the time, grabs on to the loose part of his neck/skin and holds on, she will litterally walk around the yard like that. Is doesn't seem to hurt Taj but he does get annoyed try's to get her off him,, how can we stop this?

Glad to hear things are slowly improving. Keep up the training and the vigilance, and give them each separate attention and training. Just try to make time where YOU are the most fun plaything for Indie.

Di