Protexin Query?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could clarify the dosage ratio of Protexin powder. Understand the first 5 days to give at 'stress level' & then cut down to maintance level.

The label on my bottle I just received isn't very clear to me :o Going by it I should give her 4 grams a day for the first five??

Stella is a little bit off of late, upset tummy, & she is 17 kg. I don't want to give her the wrong amount & upset her more.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Just looking at my container of Protexin

For dogs it says under individual dose..."Stress" 2-6gms & "Maintenance" 1-3gms and it also says *small-2gms, medium-4gms, large-6gms.... the "In Feed" (Kg/tonne)1.5 ("When animals are being stressed by management situations or antibiotic treatment, "In Feed" rates may be doubled for as long as necessary")

I'm not sure what the "In Feed" actually means :confused: but the rest I see as saying 2-6gms per day would be fine short term, so 4gm would be fine for your girl.

My two(25 & 27kgs) get approximately 2-3gms per day, split between two meals, and that dose suits them :)

Edited by raffikki

the "In Feed" (Kg/tonne)1.5 ("When animals are being stressed by management situations or antibiotic treatment, "In Feed" rates may be doubled for as long as necessary")

That's for livestock, in their hard feed per tonne quantity.

Oh OK Nekhbet so that's what that is about.

Hope this product helps Stella with a slight case of diarrhoea that she has had for a couple of days. I have fasted her for 24 hours & now just have her

on a very bland diet. & introduced Protexin :crossfingers:

slippery elm powder is good too for upset tummies I just used the human capsule one, opened it and added to moist feed. One is enough for a medium sized dog. If you are going to use protexin and probiotics you need to use them for at least a week or two to build up the good bacteria, diarrhoea tends to empty the intestines too quickly and imbalances electrolyte levels for the bacteria to flourish properly.

Thanks Nekhbet, again.. :) I will try a slippery elm cap as well then. I didn't know about those. I was going to leave her on the Protexin for a while.

Actually I am giving to both my guys as I have noticed Sonny is slightly upset of late as well. Stella has improved since I made her fast but her yard pick up is still really soft.

She isn't running to go now or anything like she was before. Seems as soon as I try to upgrade her diet off bland food, say from cooked chic to raw roo or beef, her tummy doesn't cope very well atm.

Edited by BC Crazy

Too much too fast, I wouldnt be swapping I would be slowly introducing red meats in a week. It's literally a teaspoon and see how she goes etc if you're finding her stomach isnt settling.

Oh OK then, I was going way too fast then. Poor girl I was expecting too much. I was just concerned about her not getting enough nutrients from cooked chic, boiled rice & a small amount of boiled pumpkin.

Edited by BC Crazy

Maybe be careful with slippery elm - I've fed it to horses with scouring issues but you can't feed it to pregnant mares or mares you want to get pregnant or it can abort the pregnancy.

It does help with loose poo but make sure you're not planning pups or breeding the dog

Cool, I've no idea if it has the same effect on dogs but thought safety first :)

Otherwise slippery elm is the bomb!

Have you tried the Natural Animal Solutions digestivite plus? I've heard some good things about other items in the range..

Yeah I use the omega oil to and am happy with the results.

Heard that some of the topicals like the itchy paw, ear clean etc are pretty good - so if you decide to add the digestivite plus I'd love to hear how it goes :)

Slippery Elm has really helped Stella. I only gave her one last night & this morning yard pick up looked half like it should :thumbsup:

Might give her another one today. See how she goes. Thanks for the heads up Nebhket :)