Indoor Dog Toliet!

bbjai

As a cheaper alternative we used a plastic tub lid from Bunnings, some fake grass cut to fit the lid and then just put kitty litter in the lid and put the grass on top.

Whenever we went to my mums place we used it as she only had a concrete back yard and it worked fine. Just threw out the litter and hosed down the lid and the grass - easy!

I used to use the fake grass too, had left over bits from when I got my back yard done. I found it easier to just use towels as they are easier to throw in the wash. The fake grass, even when hosed, didn't come up as fresh smelling and I did try washing it in the washing machine. Worked fine but there were lots of bits to clean out of the machine afterwards.

Our indoor loo has fake grass too so his fairly comfortable with it. His slowly getting it now however he doesn't do his business outside on walks and waits to get home

I used to use the fake grass too, had left over bits from when I got my back yard done. I found it easier to just use towels as they are easier to throw in the wash. The fake grass, even when hosed, didn't come up as fresh smelling and I did try washing it in the washing machine. Worked fine but there were lots of bits to clean out of the machine afterwards.

I used to soak the grass overnight in the laundry sink with some washing powder, then hose it off in the morning and let it dry. Got rid of all the pee smell.

We wanted to use fake grass cause we wanted it to resemble real grass as my brother had a back yard and we were looking to move to a place with a courtyard and wanted to encourage him to use grass. But towels are a good alternative cause as you said, they are way easier to wash :)

Thanks for the tip Nushie and TJ, I've set up this kind of arrangement inside in my new place until I get the outside area appropriately fenced for the dogs to toilet. They are adults and were toilet trained to take themselves outside thru a doggy door, but then two were kenneled for 7 weeks, and as I said we're not set up yet for them to take themselves out, so they were picking where ever they decided was good to toilet.

I set them up with a plastic tub lid with pee pads and a towel they'd already decided to pee on over the top, and voila! Two days later and they're using it reliably :) Soooo much easier than puppies (but not quite as cute :D )

Has anyone ever had the problem with the pup doing an around the world poop? Mac loves walking all around his toliet pooping sometimes off the toliet!!! Half of it is on half of it is off

Oh no! That would be hilarious/awful! Not too bad if it's firm I guess :)

Nixon walks and wees occasionally - used to drive me nuts when he wasn't fully toilet trained - he'd walk up and down the lounge room weeing if we hadn't noticed he needed to go out... made puddles seem awesome, I can tell you.

• 1 month later...

hi guys just a quick update, Mac is now 5 months old and has gone slightly backwards on his tolieting training. He was going back into the pen to pee for a while but now his taken to peeing anywhere again. We've been bringing him back to the toliet every hour or so but sometimes he goes sometimes he'll walk around and not go. I think one thing we've failed is that when he does have an accident we don't bring him to the toliet again straight away. Is this our current issue? Sometimes his done it for over 10 seconds and already walked off before we notice. For example yesterday I was preparing his food and he was sniffing around and then decided to relieve himself. This only applies to peeing, his pooping his done 100% on the toliet/outdoors and never indoors

• 2 weeks later...

Mac has had over 5 accidents this week yet I bring him back to the loo all the time and he knows to go there!! He never has an accident in the pen so I'm getting really frustrated!! Could the problem be when his in the streets for a walk he just goes anywhere and we should discourage such behaviour?? This is really driving me nuts at the moment! We've ordered the dodgy insert to move the toliet to the balcony but it will take 10-15 working days

He doesn't really give many signs! He basically sometimes pees as he walks??? Today for example he was playing with his ball and then stopped and peed! I picked him up and he finished at the indoor toliet but I would have thought this behaviour should have stopped by now! It might be because my wife lost her temper at him once when he did have an accident. We haven't had a consistent result since then

It might be because my wife lost her temper at him once when he did have an accident. We haven't had a consistent result since then

Possible.

Has he been checked for any infection ? That might be an idea ...

Also .. when you are home take him somewhere to toilet every 20-30 minutes .....but have a vet check first .

Not sure but he may not yet be recognising when he has to 'go ' there may need to be much more training involved -

he may also be confused ... he is only a baby still ...

When he walks out on the footpath .. might I suggest ..every few minutes take him to the kerb ..and encourage him to pee - then as soon as you feel him slow down on a walk.. dash to the kerb(not ON the street ..just the edge of the path ... GENTLY ..and praise him HEAPS if he pees even a drop nearer the kerb

Vet check first though - then perhaps a trainer to visit you and help you manage things :)

Edited by persephone

He knows the wee wee command that's what we use indoors, we try it outside too but we only praise him when he pees on grass. I am thinking about getting him vet checked to make sure. He peed tonight again as he was playing the bottle. No warning but just did it. I will bring treats and all on walks and do your suggestion about taking him to the kerb. The funny thing is his ever pooed in the wrong place