Bruno Is Limping :(

The last few days I have noticed Bruno seems to have a sporadic limp in one of his rear legs.

He is walking normally most of the time, except when we do our short morning walk. After about 5 minutes of walking, he misses/skips putting one of his rear legs to the ground. There is no visible injury to his paw. There is no history of hip dysplasia in his lines as far as I'm aware.

He had the same symptoms about a year ago and I raced him to the vet. The vet on duty was not our usual one, and he wasn't able to help much. He suggested resting Bruno and if the injury didn't settle, bringing him back for sedation to explore what was going on. The limp seemed to resolve itself after a week or so of keeping him rested, and I thought nothing more of it.

This is the same leg. We are in the southern suburbs of Perth. We normally go to Applecross vet hospital for most things, or Murdoch uni (for dermatology).

Apart from avoiding exercise and resting Bruno, I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on who we should see?

Deb Nook is back in Perth for the month of August and she is just great. She does acupuncture/physio/chiro and absolutely loves dogs. She is south of the river and the first visit is $70 (any further visits are $50).

She is very good and also very honest. If she cannot fix what is wrong, or knows that the dog needs surgery or xrays or something then she will tell you straight up.

ETA:

Can contact her on her email

debnook@we​stnet.com.a​u

Edited by Mim

If you normally go to Applecross - book in and see Steve. He is excellent. Sounds suspiciously like luxating patella.

Yes Steve is our usual (and favourite) vet. :)

He was away last time it happened, which is why we saw a different vet.

Deb Nook is back in Perth for the month of August and she is just great. She does acupuncture/physio/chiro and absolutely loves dogs. She is south of the river and the first visit is $70 (any further visits are $50).

She is very good and also very honest. If she cannot fix what is wrong, or knows that the dog needs surgery or xrays or something then she will tell you straight up.

ETA:

Can contact her on her email

debnook@we​stnet.com.a​u

Thanks Mim, she sounds excellent. :)

Have you taken him to the vet this time around? It might just be a sprain but I'd definitely get him checked again if you haven't.

No, not today. After taking him to the vet last time I came away feeling I must have over-reacted. The vet couldn't feel anything wrong by palpating the leg, and Bruno didn't limp during the consult. I thought I might try and video the leg skip on my phone to show the vet.

The skipping type movement sounds like a luxating patella issue. That's what one of our guys used to do and he had to have both of his operated on, he was quite a small dog though.

I hope you get some answers

Could be a luxating patella could also be muscular. Hopefully its the latter and not the former.

Thanks Aussie3 and Ness, I'm hoping it's muscular/simple to heal and not a luxating patella. This gorgeous boy has enough health problems, we really don't need another one to deal with.

Edited by trinabean

When you said he misses/skips putting his rear foot to the ground it rang bells for me because that's exactly what Lacey did when she started showing the same symptoms... Hers is a Luxating Patella :( I hope for Brunos sake that isnt the same for him, poor boy.

I would be going down the path of a luxating patella especially if the vet cant find anything going on in a consult situation. It took plenty of vet visits to get Kenz's diagnosed. Way more then I would have liked and even knowing she had one in her LH it still took them nearly 12 months to diagnose the RH so yes they can be complicated.