Dry Dog Food Recommendation Needed

Hi all, I am hoping you can spare me hours of research here! Casper's just had his 6-monthly vet check (I prefer to have him checked twice yearly now that he's no spring chicken). A blood test showed that his kidneys are taking a bit of strain (don't ask me the technical terms!) and the vet has suggested I change his food to a low protein one. I also need it to be low in fat and gentle for his sensitive stomach.

I know I'm asking for a lot but if you can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I'm currently feeding him Holistic Select for Seniors and 1/2 Barf (usually rabbit) patty per day.

As always, thanks in advance.

Edited by White Shepherd mom

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I am hoping you can spare me hours of research here! Casper's just had his 6-monthly vet check (I prefer to have him checked twice yearly now that he's no spring chicken). A blood test showed that his kidneys are taking a bit of strain (don't ask me the technical terms!) and the vet has suggested I change his food to a low protein one. I also need it to be low in fat and gentle for his sensitive stomach.

I know I'm asking for a lot but if you can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I'm currently feeding him Holistic Select for Seniors and 1/2 Barf (usually rabbit) patty per day.

As always, thanks in advance.

Have a good look through this site http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ they have most dry foods listed and will give you the ingredients, the protein fat etc %s and an overall rating. Check out the online shops that carry the lesser known brands so you can get an idea of what is available here in Australia. eg http://www.pookinuk.com.au/index.php/for-dogs.html this way you can make a short list and go from there. At least this way you can avoid crap like Hills.

Another solution is to explore making up your own barf that adheres to the protein/fat %s you require.

Hills K/D is the one for kidney disease. i question the verdict of "crap" for the prescription range.

Royal Canin make one but they don't import it to Australia :cry:

i have a dog here on K/D.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Did the vet recommend he follow a kidney diet or just reduced protein? The kidney diet is very strict to ensure the correct protein and phosphorus levels.

For the kidney diet there are the Hills k/d and the Eukanuba Renal Plus dry foods. Royal Canin and Hills make kidney diet canned foods. There is also a homemade kidney diet.

I was told the RC renal dry was discontinued because it didn't meet requirements for the kidney diet.

Guest LittleMissOdie

Hi, owner who has a dog with liver disease here. You could use prescription diets like Hills k/d or l/d, if i recall correctly there is not much difference between the 2. I have been trying out Purina Bonnie Lite for my liver dog - 17% protein and low in fat I believe, also uses chicken as a base. I alternate between this and a home cooked diet. Let me know if you want more info on home cooked recipes :)

Awesome!

Yonjuro, I started looking through Pookinuk but considering the long list of foods there I thought it would be quicker to ask the knowledgable people on here instead!

kayla1, no, the vet did not say to follow a kidney diet, only to reduce the protein in his food. Also, being an older dog who has had pancreatitis in the past, I need to keep it low fat too (plus trying to keep him lean).

Thank you all for narrowing it down for me. I will look at Eukanuba Renal Plus and Hills K/D and L/D. This has been a huge help.

While we are on the subject, are there any yummy treats that follow my requirements?

Just a point to keep in mind with protein and kidney disease - the focus is not so much on restricting protein to low levels but ensuring there is not a 'surplus' for the kidneys to deal with. It's also important that it is good quality protein.

Just a point to keep in mind with protein and kidney disease - the focus is not so much on restricting protein to low levels but ensuring there is not a 'surplus' for the kidneys to deal with. It's also important that it is good quality protein.

I gather phosphorus levels are important too Rappie?

I think K/D is 14% protein. I try to feed treats lower than that. For the older boy in my house, he loves Dentasticks and they are 10% protein or thereabouts. They are his daily treat. :)

I think K/D is 14% protein. I try to feed treats lower than that. For the older boy in my house, he loves Dentasticks and they are 10% protein or thereabouts. They are his daily treat. :)

here are the specs, surely there has to be a better option out there for the OP, who states their dog's kidneys are under a bit of strain but not necessarily needing a drastic kidney disease diet.

Ingredients

Brewers Rice, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Powdered Cellulose, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Beet Pulp, L-Lysine, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Citrate, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Iodized Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Threonine, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Tryptophan, Magnesium Oxide, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Analysis

Protein - 14.7%

Fat - 19.4%

Carbohydrate - 59.4%

Crude Fibre - 2.3%

Soluble fibre - 0.8%

here are the specs, surely there has to be a better option out there for the OP, who states their dog's kidneys are under a bit of strain but not necessarily needing a drastic kidney disease diet.

Such as ?????

I gave a concrete example of what I feed. What's your suggestion other than "not Hills crap" ? How is what you're saying assisting the OP to feed her dog?

Yes they are - my comment was just about the protein, as it's often mentioned that diets must be low protein but it's not exactly the case

Such as ?????

I gave a concrete example of what I feed. What's your suggestion other than "not Hills crap" ? How is what you're saying assisting the OP to feed her dog?

Calm down HW, I am entitled to my opinion as much as you are. I am not prepared to make a specific diet recommendation for someone else's dog that is not 100% well, rather, I gave the OP some links to do some independent research into branded foods and their analysis - but this will take some effort on their behalf. One of the links shows exactly the protein and fat for each food which is what I thought the OP was needing. I have also given the information on the particular diet you are recommending so they can at least make an informed decision on its contents.

Sorry if this is not enough information to you. You however are prescribing a diet that should only come from a vet??

I can see that you and I will never agree on food and nutrition so lets just leave it at that shall we?

Calm down HW, I am entitled to my opinion as much as you are. I am not prepared to make a specific diet recommendation for someone else's dog that is not 100% well, rather, I gave the OP some links to do some independent research into branded foods and their analysis - but this will take some effort on their behalf. One of the links shows exactly the protein and fat for each food which is what I thought the OP was needing. I have also given the information on the particular diet you are recommending so they can at least make an informed decision on its contents.

Sorry if this is not enough information to you. You however are prescribing a diet that should only come from a vet??

I can see that you and I will never agree on food and nutrition so lets just leave it at that shall we?

Nope, it can be bought over the internet without prescription :)

And don't worry, I'm calm. Just a tad frustrated at people trotting out their personal feeding philosophies when what people are seeking is practical help. You writing off foods you have no experience of feeding as "crap" IS unhelpful. This is not the only thread where that is occuring.

You can wax lyrical about raw feeding all you like with little argument from me as long as the assertions made have some basis in fact. 5 years ago I was as hard core on raw feeding as you can get. Then along came a dog that changed everything. Nowadays I'm in the middle ground. Experience has taught me that there is no one answer as to the "right" diet for a dog.

What I can tell you is feeding "crap" as you describe it to a dog diagnosed with early stage renal failure has held his kidney condition stable for over 12 months now. I call that a good result and a damn side more useful as advice than a bunch of internet links. The OP asked for dry food recommendations, not a sermon.

Nope, it can be bought over the internet without prescription :)

And don't worry, I'm calm. Just a tad frustrated at people trotting out their personal feeding philosophies when what people are seeking is practical help. You writing off foods you have no experience of feeding as "crap" IS unhelpful. This is not the only thread where that is occuring.

You can wax lyrical about raw feeding all you like with little argument from me as long as the assertions made have some basis in fact. 5 years ago I was as hard core on raw feeding as you can get. Then along came a dog that changed everything. Nowadays I'm in the middle ground. Experience has taught me that there is no one answer as to the "right" diet for a dog.

What I can tell you is feeding "crap" as you describe it to a dog diagnosed with early stage renal failure has held his kidney condition stable for over 12 months now. I call that a good result and a damn side more useful as advice than a bunch of internet links. The OP asked for dry food recommendations, not a sermon.

Yes I am aware that the K/D can be purchased on the net however it is supposedly meant to be a diet prescribed or recommended by a vet for a particular condition.

Okay so what you are saying is "Experience has taught me that there is no one answer as to the "right" diet for a dog." but feed Hills K/D because you have found it good???

I haven't recommended a true Raw diet as I don't think that it would be good based on the required protein levels. So I think you are being ridiculous by stating I am waxing lyrical about Raw to the OP. However I am glad you are happy feeding a food with a major component of Pig fat and liver flavouring :) I just thought it better to let the OP know what was in the food you are recommending.

This is meant to be a forum where people can contribute with different views on a topic, not get frustrated because someone has a view that differs from your own.

Edited by Yonjuro

Yes I am aware that the K/D can be purchased on the net however it is supposedly meant to be a diet prescribed or recommended by a vet for a particular condition.

Okay so what you are saying is "Experience has taught me that there is no one answer as to the "right" diet for a dog." but feed Hills K/D because you have found it good???

I haven't recommended a true Raw diet as I don't think that it would be good based on the required protein levels. So I think you are being ridiculous by stating I am waxing lyrical about Raw to the OP. However I am glad you are happy feeding a food with a major component of Pig fat and liver flavouring :) I just thought it better to let the OP know what was in the food you are recommending.

This is meant to be a forum where people can contribute with different views on a topic, not get frustrated because someone has a view that differs from your own.

I wouldn't care if it was made from crushed Barbie dolls if it prevents my dog's kidney condition from deteriorating. I've been a forum member here long enough (since 2004) to know what its aims are and fully acknowledge that there will be many views different to mine. You are naturally entitled to your view. My point is that where people are seeking practical help, its good if people focus on providing it.

I wouldn't care if it was made from crushed Barbie dolls if it prevents my dog's kidney condition from deteriorating. I've been a forum member here long enough (since 2004) to know what its aims are and fully acknowledge that there will be many views different to mine. You are naturally entitled to your view. My point is that where people are seeking practical help, its good if people focus on providing it.

My mistake I had hoped that the link I provided would help the OP to easily find out what foods would match the desired dietary requirements - sorry that this was so detrimental to the process of finding what is out there in the market - go figure??

Edited by Yonjuro

My mistake I had hoped that the link I provided would help the OP to easily find out what foods would match the desired dietary requirements - sorry that this was so detrimental to the process of finding what is out there in the market - go figure??

You can posts links all you like. However you did rubbish a food recommended by some posters and haven't yet, to my knowledge actually made a recommendation of your own. How "helpful" that was is for the OP to determine I suppose. :shrug: