Deformed Chihuahua

Kirislin

i said in my initial post that i'm torn over this and quite a few of you have since made some very valid and exceptional arguments against rescuing a dog with such obvious disability.

i'm now on the fence even tho i'm convinced that if i watch that video again, my opinion will tilt again in favour of rescue, BUT only because i believe that rosie's condition is well managed and maintained and she is enjoying the life she has in what little ways she knows. beyond that, my sensibilities would be far too offended [as they were with the dog, faith] if rosie was put on display for the sake of her deformities and limitations, for whatever purpose.

i don't know about the kangaroo [and i'm not so sure that i do want to know]!

puppy farm dogs: they are born, they live, exist and survive in horrendous conditions but and just like those we bust out of pounds or accept as surrenders or find wandering the streets, if they find themselves in kinder, warm and loving environments, they have the capacity to trust [again or for the first time], learn to play and become confident canines whereas rosie knows no difference between her, any other dog or situtation.

i realise that's a rather simplistic view, comparing rosie's existence to that of a dog born in a puppy mill, but one dog does not compare its life, beginnings, or existence to that of another, able bodied, manic or otherwise, and if rosie is being raised with the best care, attention and [i understand], medication, then i must believe she is enjoying the life she has the only way she knows with her obvious inabilities, and i accept that her rescuer made a righteous choice.

while that above certainly sounds like i'm not on the fence, there's a fence for a reason and yes, i do 'sit on it'.

i know pickles but only as a young dog and her wonky'ness was definitely part of her charm; i don't know her as an adult dog and therefore, i don't know what challenges present as she grows older. i wish you the best T :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also on the fence, I used to do a bit of work in a school for seriously disabled children, I worked with the more able bodied soles but there were some staff who very cheerfully dealt with the severely disabled. To my mind disability is on a spectrum and each person has their own subjective line. There do seem to be people who have a natural ability to care for disabled creatures and thrive on it, as these people seem to. The world needs them. I've only had a quick look at the pictures and my personal line is way before Rosie but theirs isn't. If the dog is pain free then I'm ok with that but I'm a bit negative about the Facebook page or need for publicity, I find that somewhat in the freakshow realm.

I'm also on the fence, I used to do a bit of work in a school for seriously disabled children, I worked with the more able bodied soles but there were some staff who very cheerfully dealt with the severely disabled. To my mind disability is on a spectrum and each person has their own subjective line. There do seem to be people who have a natural ability to care for disabled creatures and thrive on it, as these people seem to. The world needs them. I've only had a quick look at the pictures and my personal line is way before Rosie but theirs isn't. If the dog is pain free then I'm ok with that but I'm a bit negative about the Facebook page or need for publicity, I find that somewhat in the freakshow realm.

Good post.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that there are people who seem to find caring for disabled beings quite rewarding. It's the kind of dog this family seem to prefer, in the same way some of us own dogs for hunting, showing or companionship they own them to care for. That's their deal.

How much you see animals and humans on the same spectrum is a different discussion.

I love Chis, I love dogs, have had them for over 30 years.

I admire people who have the emotional and financial resources to care for disabled dogs and

do rescue.

Just wanted to get that bit out of the way.

I cannot even look at this dog. I am sorry if this offends people. I grew up on a farm, if something was not

'right' it was not allowed to live.

To some degree I still agree with that, however having had very sick disabled animals myself, I push my limits.

This wee dog surpasses that limit, and I could not in all honesty deal with it.

There has to be a 'point' where we stop. Are we allowing the dog to be our life, redesigning our whole life around

one small thing, to the exclusion of other parts of our lives. This is how I see this.

You would need to be able to devote a good percentage of your day and night to this wee thing and I do not think I would

be happy doing that.

Just MHO.