Getting Involved In Rescue

I'm moving to 3 acres in 2 weeks :D

I'm absolutely not going to be able to do anything straight off the bat, as the place does not yet have adequate fencing, plus there's the whole setting up the house thing.

But as soon as possible, I'd like to become involved in rescue, whether it be fostering (I have 4 dogs, but council says I can get a permit for up to 10 with no issues and no neighbour approval needed, not that I'd want to go straight to 10!!!) or, well, anything else really. Eventually I'd like to set the place up with a couple of runs for separating dogs etc, but I think it might be better to start off small and managable.

I do not have the first idea about where to start.

So, oh gracious rescue angel people, please help me! Give me a starting point!

I should also mention that at first (until I find a job closer) I will be working just the weekends, so should have plenty of time during the week.

I'd suggest finding a good group or shelter near you and get involved. Not fostering straight off but helping with transport/administration/fundraising/whatever. You'll learn heaps and will develop good networks and relationships for when you start fostering.

Congratulations on the new property and welcome to rescue. :-)

Thanks very much. Quarantine is not something I had thought of Gallomph, thanks for the suggestion. I had considered being able to keep mine separate as one of mine has fear aggression issues and I have noticed that my 4 together tend to overwhelm other animals a bit(and people too!), but I hadn't taken into account disease transmission.

And Aphra, that is a really good idea, and allows me to get involved pretty much straight away as well :thumbsup:

Gippsland, about 10 minutes out of Yarram. So very excited, I finally get to move away from suburbia!! :D Went up today to get a handover for the property (how all the pumps work etc) and met some of the neigbours, they're such lovely people :)

Guest Wildthing

I have sent you an email with some information that may be helpful. If you do not receive it, please check your Spam/Junk folder as mine often go there!

We have a foster carer is Sth Moe so distance is not a problem for us but we only have greyhounds to foster. Quarantine is also not a problem as all our dogs only go to foster carers after that & recovering from desexing, etc.

Thanks Tdierikx, just bought it :) Hopefully it will arrive in time.

Greytpets, I won't be quite ready to foster straight off the bat, but I certainly do have a soft spot for greyhounds. TBH, I never used to like them much as they're so pointy, but the small amount of exposure I've had to them over the last few years (it doesn't take much, I think I've only met 2 or 3 :p) have really won me over, and I would love to own/foster some one day.

I used to think that I wanted to foster oldies, or provide a "last port of call", somewhere where the ancient ones could rest their bones until it's time to cross the bridge, but I don't know if I can. Maybe it's selfish, but I don't know if I've got the emotional capacity to be able to deal with that on a long term basis.

It is important to know your own limitations and resources so that you CAN rescue on a long term basis.

I will PM one that are always looking for volunteers to help without fostering but still in a hands-on way... And studying Merryn's manual first means you will be forewarned!biggrin.gif

It's always wonderful to talk to someone who is asking around firstthumbsup1.gif