Training Help!

Zereuloh

Ok, so i'm having some trouble training Tyrion. He use to sit, drop, stand, on command and we were working on stay. He comes when he is called, and he sits usually when I ask him. However, if I try and even start a 5 minute training session with him he tries to go back to his crate, OR he turns his back on me and sits down. At puppy school I was told that if he did this to walk him around in a circle and try again. But he will literally just sit there and not move his stubborn little butt and I don't want to DRAG him around. I've tried missing a meal so he is extra hungry, I've tried a variety of different treats including roast chicken which he usually tears my hand off for, but if I give him a command with it he completely ignores me. I've been doing the NILIF as a daily thing, but what can I do to make him more trainable. Is it his age? (15 weeks today) he is really being a complete stubborn little butthead and its driving me nuts!

How do you start your sessions?

I like to keep sessions short and active. So I start with an action game - tugging or chasing, have a bit of fun! Get them engaged! If they don't tug then have them chase you for food rewards, zig zag, run different directions. I also don't do many repetitions of the exercise I am teaching, and end with more fun games. Very short sessions - I try to keep them under 5 mins total.

He might feel pressured when training?

I would drop formal training for a while and just play with him - let him see interacting with you as a fun thing to do.

ETA: I think 5 mins is long :o

Edited by megan_

I would drop formal training for a while and just play with him - let him see interacting with you as a fun thing to do.

My 5 mins includes the play before and after - actual training exercises are usually less than a minute

My 5 mins includes the play before and after - actual training exercises are usually less than a minute

Ok cool thanks! :D

He is fast asleep at the moment so will try again this afternoon when he is usually wide awake.

I've really backed off training in blocks and have started just doing bit & pieces out on our walk, when he comes inside, when I go outside, just when ever. I've even been getting my kids to help out by throwing/rolling toys past him to help with his distraction work. Even when playing fetch I mix it up by making him wait until I release him to get the ball. We're both enjoying it and hopefully neither of us will get stale

Yep, waaay to long for a baby, and remember that corgis are incredibly smart and strong personalities, and you have to make it fun for them.

My Cardi pup is now 10 months old, and has a lot more duration, but I still train in relatively short bursts and use play a lot.

If he has a favourite toy or game, get it out, play a little, then ask for something easy, like a sit. Mark the behaviour when he does it, and reward by playing again. Once you get the toy back again, repeat.