Ways To Improve Health Of Gums

Is there anything i can apply to the gumline to improve the gums? One of my boys had some plaque build up between the front teeth which i only noticed recently (it could have been there for a while already, i never took any noticed of the front teeth when i clean them, only the back ones). The colour of the gunk is green and i am not sure whether overtime, the gumline around that area turned black or whether its just a coincidence. But i finally managed to remove the plaque using a scaler. I've been applying dog toothpaste in that area for about 1 week now but haven't noticed much of an improvement on the gum line.

The gap (where the gunk was) between the two front teeth is quite big, not sure whether the gum has receded to leave a hole there. Now that the plaque is gone, would the gums get better by itself?

Thanks

We got a tip for Plaque Off which we found on amazing, teamed with a tooth scraper for the early days. The product is made from seaweed.. Sounds skeptical but it's worked a treat! We just add it to his meat once a day and we saw a difference within 2-3 weeks