Baycox Overdose?

ChewieTAG

Hi all,

My new addition was diagnosed with coccidia oocysts. She was having bouts of diarrhoea two weeks ago and was given antibiotics, however her diarrhoea returns after 48 hours of completing the course.

We went to the vet to ask for a feces test and out come coccidia oocysts diagnosed. That was 3 days ago. We were given metrogyl antibiotics and baycox. Metrogyl 200mg per feed and Baycox 0.75ml per feed based on her weight.

I am so beside myself now.

For some weird reason, I was giving her twice a day the Baycox 0.75ml when I should be giving her once a day, perhaps mixed up together with metrogyl as it is twice a day. So that means she is having double dose = 1.5ml of Baycox? frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif I feel so bad. doh.gifSo angry of myself and feeling so.. sick / upset ! icon_smile_mad.gif I kept asking myself oh why oh why!

Does anyone knows about the side effect of over dosing? I couldn't fine the information. frown.gif

She is fine, active, energetic, eating and drinking, her usual self. She is now 15 weeks old.

Thanks

crossfingers.gif

It should be fine. Everything I've read about Baycox says it is a safe drug with a high safety margin. Mention it to your vet, and maybe give your pup some probiotics when the course is finished. But don't beat yourself up. :grouphug:

And just for extra reassurance, some info here:

Acute toxicity

The acute toxicity of Toltrazuril in rat, mouse and chicken is very low. Rats and chicks are slightly more sensitive than mice. The LD50 in the rat rangend from 1600-5000 mg/kg b.w., in the mouse it was approx. 5000 mg/kg and in chicks 1000 mg/kg, which is more than 100 times the recommended therapeutic dose of 7 mg/kg b.w.

Further toxicity studies

Toltrazuril has no influence on the central nervous system, nor does it interfere with blood coagulation, it causes no haemopathies and exhibits no bronchoactive or diuretic effect. Toltrazuril is not embryotoxic or mutagenic.

http://www.baycox.es/index.php/fuseaction/download/lrn_file/Bayer_Baycox_Solution_25.pdf

LD50 is a term that indicates what is a lethal dose for 50% of a affected group. Which sounds horrible yes. But what that shows you above is that this drug needs a frankly massive dose to do that. The further toxicity info should help reassure you that she should have no effects or damage from a small overdose.

thank God for that Alyosha! thanks so much for the info.

About the probiotic, what type do I give or where can I get it?

anything like plain yogurt brand that is good or need to grab pharmacy..

would this be good idea for her diarrhoea? She hasn't has one since the course of meds, but she will be off it soon, so wanting to make sure she is good

Hi chewak, my pup had coccidia too, followed by some other tummy upsets and his poo just wouldn't firm up. I started feeding him yoghurt and it made a huge difference! I used the jalna Greek yoghurt because it's low lactose, and he's never had any trouble with it. Every now and again I'll give him half a capsule of a human probiotic from the chemist as well, for an extra boost. He absolutely loves his yoghurt though. His poo is super firm now - much easier to clean up! Hope your pup feels better soon. And don't stress, she'll be fine before you know it :)

Edited by aliwake

Hi chewak, my pup had coccidia too, followed by some other tummy upsets and his poo just wouldn't firm up. I started feeding him yoghurt and it made a huge difference! I used the jalna Greek yoghurt because it's low lactose, and he's never had any trouble with it. Every now and again I'll give him half a capsule of a human probiotic from the chemist as well, for an extra boost. He absolutely loves his yoghurt though. His poo is super firm now - much easier to clean up! Hope your pup feels better soon. And don't stress, she'll be fine before you know it :)

Oh thank you for the tips, I will be shopping for the Jalna Greek Yogurt soon! thumbsup1.gif