Agility/obedience/dog Sports In Brisbane

Agility Dogs - I am super excited for next week :)

Yeah, starting to think I might just need to try and get to a couple of agility classes a week rather than obedience.. I love agility a whole lot more, but also think there is a lot to be said for an obedient dog. Although I am hoping through some more training in agility that will build our relationship anyway + therefore he will be a bit more obedient as well.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agility Dogs - I am super excited for next week :)

Yeah, starting to think I might just need to try and get to a couple of agility classes a week rather than obedience.. I love agility a whole lot more, but also think there is a lot to be said for an obedient dog. Although I am hoping through some more training in agility that will build our relationship anyway + therefore he will be a bit more obedient as well.

Obedience can be just as fun (if not more! :p) than agility and is also awesome for building your relationship, it is just unfortunately we are a bit behind in Australia in some ways and a lot of people still believe obedience is about teaching the dog 'you must work for me', rather than teaching the dog how to work with you as a team.

If you look to the top obedience competitors world wide they don't train with the methods a lot of clubs still do.

Edited by huski

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do really get a lot of joy out of obedience when we finally get to where we want to be.. but I struggle with this on my own.

I have only every had training in a pet dog type of environment, but it was fantastic and the trainer was lovely. It was all reward based training and I learnt to use a clicker.

I guess I was just surprised to see the requirement for check chains.. I haven't used one of these (except in the show ring) since training my dog as a kid at an obedience club around 10 years ago.

And to me, the reward-based training is what it is all about, whichever discipline you're doing. IMHO the relationship is definitely key - and that's why I wouldn't be training in any place that used methods which threatened that relationship. The thing I've learnt really strongly over the years of seeing a shift in training methods in most of Australia - and certainly in agility pretty much all over, is that it's all about handler and dog learning to play the game together - the fundamentals are the same - just the details of the particular game that change. :D

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do really get a lot of joy out of obedience when we finally get to where we want to be.. but I struggle with this on my own.

I have only every had training in a pet dog type of environment, but it was fantastic and the trainer was lovely. It was all reward based training and I learnt to use a clicker.

I guess I was just surprised to see the requirement for check chains.. I haven't used one of these (except in the show ring) since training my dog as a kid at an obedience club around 10 years ago.

Yep to what the others have said. Although my dogs do agility they are all 'obedient' and could easily compete at the lower to intermediate levels of obedience. We will do a lot of the exercises as part of our agility foundations.

I think it is just a shame that so many of the Qld clubs are yet to adopt the more recently developed techniques that focus on relationship rather than force and domination. I'm NOT getting into an argument about what sort of training is better per se - there is a time/place/reason for a wide variety of options, I'm just talking about how I like to see dogs working in sporting pursuits. I know it isn't the stereotypical working to avoid a correction that I see way too much of in some quarters.

Lisey, there's a great little Stafford in Victoria who just completed his Agility Chapion title - he's quite often handled in Masters by his owner's daughter - who is just 10 I think - she handled him in Agility Nationals last year - and you should see them at Nationals at Durack next year, all being well.

Wow!! That's great. What's his name?

His call name is Ollie - here ya go - here's his full official name - from his trial last weekend

AG CH 400 JEOLENA BOY CANNY GO ADM ADO JDM JDO GDX SPDX SDX :D

Yep to what the others have said. Although my dogs do agility they are all 'obedient' and could easily compete at the lower to intermediate levels of obedience. We will do a lot of the exercises as part of our agility foundations.

I think it is just a shame that so many of the Qld clubs are yet to adopt the more recently developed techniques that focus on relationship rather than force and domination. I'm NOT getting into an argument about what sort of training is better per se - there is a time/place/reason for a wide variety of options, I'm just talking about how I like to see dogs working in sporting pursuits. I know it isn't the stereotypical working to avoid a correction that I see way too much of in some quarters.

It is sad, I really think we are behind the times in Australia in a lot of ways, when you look at what is the standard in competition on an international level.

There is nothing like seeing a dog working with joy and excitement and lots of animation and focus, regardless of the sport!

I go to BAD on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and the training that we get is awsome, Elise+Hudson if you have done agility before you might not need to go on Wednesday night you might be able to go straight to tuesday, you can always turn up on a Tuesday night without Hudson and take a look.

:whip: hehehehe. Back tonight for more fun!

This just made me smile.

Always up for more Agility Dogs can't get enough of it best part of my week is going out to training after all I do have 2 BAD dogs lol :rofl:

Always up for more Agility Dogs can't get enough of it best part of my week is going out to training after all I do have 2 BAD dogs lol :rofl:

You should be very proud of the job you are doing with that young man of yours. He is AWESOME. Once we can teach him the rules of the game there'll be no stopping him!

Sadly my work has changed yet again! So I am not able to bring Huddy to BAD next week, but will be there the week after with bells on! Still thinking of coming along on Tuesday next week just to watch how things work with the higher levels. :)

Sadly my work has changed yet again! So I am not able to bring Huddy to BAD next week, but will be there the week after with bells on! Still thinking of coming along on Tuesday next week just to watch how things work with the higher levels. :)

:(

But great idea - you are more than welcome. I won't be there, but someone will no doubt come and talk to you! LOL. Just introduce yourself and the guys will look after you.

:(

But great idea - you are more than welcome. I won't be there, but someone will no doubt come and talk to you! LOL. Just introduce yourself and the guys will look after you.

You should be very proud of the job you are doing with that young man of yours. He is AWESOME. Once we can teach him the rules of the game there'll be no stopping him!

Am really chuffed how well he is going, he is such a great boy to train and yep once he learns the rules of the game there will be no stopping him am looking forward to the day he gets in the ring to play this fun game of Agility,

Well we went, and it seems like a great group of people there.. but Hudson was SO naughty.. he ran off twice just doing zoomies so he had to stay on the lead the whole time, but he was just being so frustrating ignoring me tonight. I know he gets excited.. but yeah :(

They had a novice course set up and he went brilliantly the first bit before zooming off!

I think that is what frustrates me the most is I think he will be great one day if I can ever get his focus on me + the obstacles and not everything else going on.

Well we went, and it seems like a great group of people there.. but Hudson was SO naughty.. he ran off twice just doing zoomies so he had to stay on the lead the whole time, but he was just being so frustrating ignoring me tonight. I know he gets excited.. but yeah :(

They had a novice course set up and he went brilliantly the first bit before zooming off!

I think that is what frustrates me the most is I think he will be great one day if I can ever get his focus on me + the obstacles and not everything else going on.

Don't feel bad about Hudson doing zoomies my boy Zac still does zoomies and goes and visits the other puppies at training, the thing I have learnt with him is to get him to do some focus work on me while we are waiting for our turn to train and if he does decide to run off during class I call him back and give him lots of praise for returning he is getting better at not running away, Zac is still a baby dog at 16 months some nights at training he is really good and will do everything great and the next week it's like he has gone back to not knowing anything at all, all you have to do is stick with it and he will get better and you will start to see the focus come and everything will end up clicking together :D

How did you go with Recallers? Have you had success with some of the games in there? The main thing that taught me was that I have to keep Kaos busy if I want to keep his attention. Once I established some games we could play at training and trials I have kept his focus much better. It doesn't even have to be Recallers games, just something to keep the connection between you. And I only have him out and with me if I am paying attention to him and working him, otherwise he is in his crate.

He only ran off once last year (the Nationals!) and not a single time so far this year.

I actually found recallers to be quite difficult on my own trying to play any of the recall games. I will have to try again next round I think..

We went to Queensland Agility and Jumping Dog Club last night at Durack and had a GREAT time! The instructor was really patient with me and the other new member yesterday (who also seemed to have a great time!) We did not come off lead of course, but when Hudson was working - through the tunnel and the tire/hoop and I did have to let go of the lead, he came straight back to me and was very focused!

When just standing waiting he was his normal crazy self spinning little circles on his lead, but I was very happy with how he acted when it was our turn to do anything, so its a step forward for us for sure!

Oh, he also took a tumble off the end of the dog walk - we were trying to lure him with food... well, Hudson thought he knew better (he already quite happily runs the dog walk) and he looked over at me to go "Mum, get out of my road!" because I was slowing him down and oops, off go the back legs! (we were almost at the contact so no harm done) needless to say the next time we didn't try to lure him.. cheeky boy!

We might be being placed in a different group next time, but have to miss next week due to work. I am so glad to finally have a good experience with a club!

Hopeful that BAD works out as well, waiting patiently for the break to be over! :D