Treat Delivery During Training

Nushie

Throwing a treat just encourages snatching in my experience. Honestly I usually just feed treats to my dog with a flat hand (like how you would feed a horse), especially if she's excited! She also knows the word gentle but will only actually be gentle if you remember to tell her.

My two love their game of catch the treat. No way does it teach them to snatch, quite the opposite, especially if you are a good throw & they can catch it easily without moving from the spot...depending on what you are training.

Okay so i spent the last few days doing some of It's Yer Choice and he seems to be getting it. He already knew "leave it" so he has picked this up quickly (I'm not using a command) but in general that is how we started to teach "leave it". I have been holding onto the treat and if he lunges for it or if he gets too excited when i am about to give it to him, I dont and i move the treat away. He is getting that he only gets it if he is patient and doesnt snatch. Its taking time and the first few of each session is a bit all over the place but he remembers quickly.

I think we will get there eventually :)

Thanks

Since he's getting the idea, I would now try just closing your hand over the treat, if he snatches, rather than moving it away. the problem with moving it away is that the movement itsef can sometimes stimulate the dog to snatch - depends how fast you move it of course. :laugh:

I do the finger/thumb with the rest of the hand cupped thing - and kind of post the treat into the dog's mouth. Both my BCs are gentle taking treats - but slightly less so grabbing tugs. My bad for not doing enough targeting - with my feral agility girl, I tend to use a longer tug. The boy is a bit more careful :laugh:

Using a longer tug wont affect the dog, you freaking out when the dog grabs your hand does though :laugh: Are you using a one or two handled tug? If you want some help with targeting with minimal risk of hurt hands, a tie back on a harness is a great way to do it since the dog is tethered and you know the dogs distance limit. A wide tug with two handles presented wide, either straight at the dog or even side on at the boundary of the tether works very well. Also look at if your dog is having to turn it's head to the side to grab the tug or can it go straight in while learning to target.

Since he's getting the idea, I would now try just closing your hand over the treat, if he snatches, rather than moving it away. the problem with moving it away is that the movement itsef can sometimes stimulate the dog to snatch - depends how fast you move it of course. :laugh:

I do the finger/thumb with the rest of the hand cupped thing - and kind of post the treat into the dog's mouth. Both my BCs are gentle taking treats - but slightly less so grabbing tugs. My bad for not doing enough targeting - with my feral agility girl, I tend to use a longer tug. The boy is a bit more careful :laugh:

Thanks Tassie - good point :)