Rocky Smashes

princeza_b

Please don't recommend that people in NSW use electric fencing - it is a cruelty offence to use an electric fence to keep a dog in. I personally think it is a stupid cruelty offence, but it is an offence.

Not if they use it in conjunction with a 1.8 (?) metre fence.

Edit: Correction... 1.5m and it has to be a pingg string or similar device.

Schedule 3 Electrical devices

The device sold under the name Pingg String (including any similar device delivering an electric shock of no greater intensity or duration than a Pingg String)

Confining dogs or cats, but only if used inside a fence through which dogs or cats cannot pass and that is at least 1.5 metres high

From the NSW Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (POCTAA)

Very handy to know!!! Thank you.

No worries! Luckily there's an exception.. it's insanity to ban them and other types of e-collars outright!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a chance you could speak to the kid and let him befriend Rocky. Let him give Rocky pats and treats and explain to him how his actions are affecting Rocky and could end up causing a really bad outcome for Rocky. There is a small chance that he's being unthinking rather than uncaring. Appealing to his better nature might help.

Am I the only one who feels the idea of a dog aggressive/possibly people aggressive dog that knocks down fences is a terrifying prospect? Regardless of the fact that you suspect someone is deliberately antagonising him, if he were to break down the fence he could really hurt a person or possibly injure or kill someone else's dog who was doing nothing more than being walked on lead. You will have to get a dog run if the fence is not sufficient to contain him. In the meantime, you might have to keep him with you inside and only allow him out on leash while you sort out something more secure.

It could be an absolute disaster for all concerned if he were to get out.

"he also does the same at the backfence as well since my neighbour's toddler threw stuff over the fence... i know the kid was only playing but he still jumps at the same spot."

This is of particular concern.

No you are not the only one who sees a huge problem in the making here, if this dog gets out and injures someone, even if its a kid being provoking, it will mean big trouble for the owner, all kinds of fines and possibly having to have an expensive dog enclosure built or fines and the dog destroyed.

As dog owners the onus is on us to keep our dogs in a secure area, when it comes to providing a secure dog area there is no try there is only do.

There is a calculated risk in keeping a dog, especially a large breed that could take a life if it decided too, they bring great joy that's the pay off to the risk we take, however it's extremely unfair and inconsiderate to expect our neighbors to share in that risk with us, no matter how noisy and annoying the neighbors are to the dog.

just a bit of a follow up for u all....

since the last time i was on here... this is wht we've done so far...

we're working in conjunction with the council with regards to the fencing... as its on the boundary alley n thts council property... the fence has been dismantled, rebuilt and reinforced... joints have been riveted together and bolts run thru the panel n frames...

the ranger has also tested rocky for aggression n HE PASSED!!! :thumbsup::cheer::dancingelephant:

with the registration n microchip issue... we now have his number... found out he is still under the previous owners name but they have given me time to get tht bit sorted... i just need to take rocky to the vet now to get confirmation of him being desexed... even tho the ranger says its obvious he is... they just need it in writing from a vet...

with everything everyone has written... i'm grateful for ur input n i'm not naive to justify his behaviours with his past... i'm just trying to figure out wht the triggers are to stop it... there was a question from someone asking wht AAA actually told me about his former life... to answer tht... jack shit basically... all they told me was he was initially purchased for protection n the "old lady" kept him on chain 24/7... she "surrendered him because she couldn't take him to the retirement village with her"...

the food aggression is... i'd like to say gone for good but in my eyes tht will always be a work in progress... the triggers for tht was my old boy who would dominate over the bowls n i've had to work with cuddles on tht n not rocky... rocky sits n waits for his food now n tht allows me to sort cuddles out n get him comfortable to eat... they both start eating at the same time now... i've even be able to slow down rocky's eating n he no longer gulps the food down but sometimes does but a pat on his shoulders works to slow him down...