Confidence Building

airlock

Hi,

i'm new to the forum. we adopted our dog just over a week ago, a 3 month old Kelpie cross, he's great and learning pretty fast but he isn't all that confident yet.

He is terrified of walking on the lead, isn't all the happy to play with more the one of us at a time.

He is however great with other dogs and doesn't have any problem with visitors so long as they come to him.

are there any little games or techniques we could use to help build his confidence and make him a bit happier leaving the house?

alfie

Edited by airlock

Hello airlock & welcome :)

Firstly good on you for adopting your boy :thumbsup: I'm no expert airlock but there are plenty of folks that are a wealth of information & knowledge here.

My thoughts are though that you haven't had him very long only a week you say. It will take him a while to settle in so you need to give him some time& he is still

very much a baby at 3 months of age. Usually they gain confidence as they mature. Don't force him to much otherwise the opposite usually happens & they can become fearful.

When you say terrified of leash walking, what exactly do you mean? He freezes when you put it on him? As for not being 'happy' playing with more than one person at a time.

IMO that is perfectly normal. Both of my dogs have always played one on one. I think it is overwhelming for them to try & play any other way. 3 is a crowd :laugh:

Is he upset/crying when you leave is he? Most puppies will cry/whine etc when left alone at first. I always leave them a Kong smeared with peanut butter or filled with a little mince

or something like that. Make sure if you are crating him he has toileted previous & a bit tired can help as he will fall asleep comfortably while you are absent. Along with some safe toys

etc to keep them occupied just before I leave. Hope I was of some help to you. Enjoy your new family member :) He's super cute.

Edited by BC Crazy

He just freezes up and wont move on most occasions, we have tried putting it on when we feed him but he just lies down and stays still until its taken off again, we tried using a ribbon witch had some success but he doesn't want to seem to follow us yet.

So when you put the lead on he freezes? If that is the case I'd put it on him just before meal times to ensure he is hungry but don't grab or pull it. Just let it dangle & get his favourite little treats or some of his meal.

Get a very short distance away from him & call him to you.When he comes make a fuss. Good boy etc & treat him. Repeat this several times, a few times a day till he gets used to it. Don't leave it on him unsupervised.

When he is OK with that then you can pick the end of the leash up, again with those wonderful treats in hand. Encourage him towards you remembering one step is success at this point. Remember don't pull or tug the leash or allow

the leash to get taught. Always loose leash & encourage every positive step.You can also walk slowly backwards hanging on to leash & call him. Don't be surprised if he has a tanti & throws himself on the ground ( as my boy did) or goes

backwards or lays down just ignore any bad behaviour & reward anything good. Remember your walking him not him you so if he dashes forward, turn slowly & encourage him to follow. Play his favourite game with him after a lesson

lasting no longer than a couple of minutes at a time at his age. The have the attention span of a flea when they are little & will become bored & switch off quickly :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Gorgeous boy !

He reminds me of my son's dog when she was a puppy. Sadly she went to the bridge last year.

Good advise from BC Crazy. I remember my 1st BC April, she wouldn't move. At that time I thought all dogs just automatically knew how to walk on lead. :doh:

i guess i was kinda expecting him to have all worked out by instinct :o . we are making some progress, he has started moving around with the lead on when hes playing with a bone or is hungry for his dinner and if theres something interesting happening. thought i might as well post a few more pictures as well :)

Alfie

Alfie