Training Questioned By Trainer

Hey guys I got a delta trainer to help me with dog aggression on lead .. And as we were chatting about my training I mentioned that when we are out walking ( I have 2 Airedales male and female , I walk them seperately ) I have them in heel beside me . When I come to places in our walk that are grassy / safe I say their release word (free ) and they instantly can sniff, wee , whatever . They are on lead ,I have a longish lead I let go a bit so it's longer for this .. She couldn't understand why I would let them do this .. They know exactly what that word means they are in heel position always until I give them this release word . I use this word when we get back from our walk they sit then I take their walking gear off and they don't move till I say free then off he race round the yard lol funny kids ..

Anyway what's wrong with doing that ?

She really thought it was odd ..

Edited by mumof4girls

Lol just a sniff of a dog and she reacts in some way lol but yes I can try that .. They are so good ( apart from the female being reactive ) on our walks , I've put a lot into our training

Maybe it was how I explained what I was doing .. ..

Edited by mumof4girls

Lol just a sniff of a dog and she reacts in some way lol but yes I can try that .. They are so good ( apart from the female being reactive ) on our walks , I've put a lot into our training

Maybe it was how I explained what I was doing .. ..

How close does she get to the dog before she reacts would you say?

Keep up the training!

We have come from just seeing them in the distance and going Beserk to now I would say they can come about 1 mtr , some dogs maybe 2mtrs before she reacts by lunging and barking. She normally will stiffen and stare at them and pant when she sees another dog.. We had a very bad encounter, my fault I took them both out together for some stupid reason .. I decided then I would get help and with our training session 2 weeks ago we managed to walk past a dog :-) I was able to keep her focus and she didn't react which was fabulous!!! I am to avoid dogs though until our next session so I have made sure we have had no contact ..

If the trainer had an issue with it, she should be able to explain why and how she would do it differently. If she can't, that's just weird.

THis!

Sounds perfectly find to me, you are controlling when their free to sniff etc starts and finishes. I would have no issue with it

Yeah I am in control cause I say when they can sniff etc ..

I'll ask her as I'm going to cancel and go to a colleague of hers closer ,I should have on the day but a client came and we both got distracted ..

Edited by mumof4girls