Advice For A 7 Month Old Pup

Waggy

I have a 7 month old terrier pup who is lovely and quite obedient outside. Unfortunately when he is brought inside he runs around silly and won't settle. I would love to train him to sit on a mat or in a basket. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Had the similar problem with my Malinois would run around like a mad mouse. Just had to leave her outside.

When she turned 9 months a light bulb went on and she was perfect inside (she's 5yo now and curled up around my feet).

While I did a lot of training with her, I think it was a maturity issue plain and simple.

Put the dog on a lead, arm yourself with some food rewards and teach him to go to a bed or mat and reward him for staying there.

I will go against the grain here and say i don't think it's a maturity issue at all- i see many older dogs with the same problem, who have never been taught to settle down inside.

Set him up for success as much as you can to really pro actively teach him what to do. The less time he spends inside, the harder it will be for him to settle when he is inside.

Terriers are super smart and generally pick up on things rapidly- this means they pick up the wrong thing quickly too if we're not one step ahead!