Awl & Sa Police New Compact First Aid Dog Kits

Kajirin

Wednesday, 6 November 2013 12:49pm

A lifesaving partnership

Koda the police dog captured the hearts of Adelaide and the nation when he chased after a wanted man and was tragically stabbed twice in the chest. As Koda's life hung in the balance, the team at the Animal Welfare League not only hoped for his recovery, they hoped they could help to ensure that if a similar situation arises, the dog handlers will be equipped to provide initial first aid to their dog at a time of need.

Working with the SAPOL Dog Operations Unit and with professional advice from AWL resident vet Dr. Alison, the AWL team put together a compact first aid kit fitted with essential items to bandage and prevent blood loss from any wounds a police dog may sustain if injured in the line of duty.

AWL PR & Communications Officer, Jade Ellis says, "After the fantastic response to the AWL's Pet First Aid course and Pet First Aid Kits, we worked with SAPOL to put together a pocket size first aid kit to be carried by handlers in the event of a trauma to the dogs."

"Each kit includes vet wrap bandage, dressings, saline solution, antiseptic, scissors, forceps and a shock blanket all contained in a pouch small enough to fit into a handler's pocket."

Koda's handler, Senior Constable Simon Rosenhahn, fully supports each police dog handler carrying a kit whilst in the line of duty.

Simon says, "To have a mobile kit such as this is a great idea and will become an important part of every dog handler's equipment."

"When Koda was stabbed we were a long way from the police vehicle so it was hard to act quickly to ensure he didn't lose too much blood. Having easy access to a kit like this means we are fully equipped if another life threatening incident occurs." Simon stated.

"The AWL has a great relationship with SAPOL having previously attended dog training demonstrations and events with them. We were only too happy work with them on this very important project." Jade concludes.

http://www.sapolicenews.com.au/component/content/article/4-news/18761-a-lifesaving-partnership.html

I'm rather surprised they didn't have one too. Even just a small general first aid kit that would be multipurpose for handlers and dogs. I'm SES and I always carry a small pocket size kit in the leg pocket of my pants with a bandage, gloves, space blanket, etc. I've never had to use it but it's there if needed and I'd say I'm less likely to be injured than a police officer!

I think it's a great idea for them to have it, but I also recognise that it is yet another thing for a police officer to have to carry. It all comes down to a matter of how much should be carried and how much can be carried, before it starts to impact on your ability to do a job. They have recently introduced load bearing vests to police officers after recognising that the carriage of general accoutrements (gun, handcuffs, batons and torch) on a belt causes all manner of problems. Add to that portable radio, speed loader clips, resus masks, gloves and all the other paraphernalia that is needed to stay safe and do the job and a police officer is typically carrying an extra 8-10kgs on their person every shift.

In a perfect world, dirtbags wouldn't hurt the dogs or the police officers. Sadly, that is becoming less and less probable. Pathetic sentencing has its own part to play in that - there is no deterrent at all to those who do wrong and we all suffer the consequences.

It's a shame Koda had to suffer before this was implemented.