Puppy Necessities

h878

Hi all. We're picking our puppy up tomorrow and was just wondering what you would consider necessities to have on hand. We have a crate and a few toys. He's being sent home with a collar and lead and we have bought his food. What did you end up needing?

I hardly go in there now, but did a recent update about Miah. Her 1st birthday is later this month :)

I cant even remember what we bought at the time, as she came with so many things that the breeder included in the package.

Having some small cardboard boxes around to play in is handy. Miah loved destroying them laugh.gif

I had a name tag ready for her when she arrived :)

I want to get him a hand-stamped name tag but have no idea where to even look so I may just have to get one engraved for now.

theres been a few posts in the past on dol about them i think. You might have to do a search.

I just got one done from on ebay, its been fine :)

Exciting getting a new pup. So very glad to see yo have a crate - crate training is such a good thing. Depending on how your house is set up, you might also want to consider getting a play pen/exercise pen of some kind - Some people make them fairly cheaply with metal compost panels - from places like Bunnings. Just handy to pop puppyin with soe toys or a chew bone when you can't be actively supervising. :)

yeah i know what u mean lol

i think this is the site i got Miahs tag from, altho their rep has gone down since i bought from them (i had no issues with them)

I got the purple heart one with an angel pic on it with her name. Its been ok since we put it on her, altho its scratched up a little bit over time from her playing rough and trying to bite it (when she was younger lol)

Exciting getting a new pup. So very glad to see yo have a crate - crate training is such a good thing. Depending on how your house is set up, you might also want to consider getting a play pen/exercise pen of some kind - Some people make them fairly cheaply with metal compost panels - from places like Bunnings. Just handy to pop puppyin with soe toys or a chew bone when you can't be actively supervising. :)

Yep good advice, thats what we did and to be able to give our other 2 dogs a rest from her sometimes laugh.gif

And we also got some second hand baby gates so she couldnt go into rooms like our bathroom ..

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

We don't really have the room in our house for a play pen unfortunately! Luckily I'm home a fair bit so he can play in the house and outside most of the time. Should I buy some shampoo for him and what is a gentle brand I can get?

How exciting Hannah.

It seems you have the main stuff sorted for now. We bought a special toy for Jingo that we gave him when we picked him up- He sleeps with it each night. The bulk of our purchaseshappened a week or so later.

Crate training is truely worthwhile, Jingo settles immediatly. We have a "play pen" set up in our dining room. We removed chairs for a while, and fenced the dining room table (lucky we eat in the lounge room or entertainment area. It is so good knowing he is safe and not in mischief when we can't be watching him. My wonderful hubby made him a little dog door into an outside run too, so he has part of the deck and lawn as his own space, and his toys and treats are safe from our border Collie. We now have this pen partly open in the day time, so he can come and go.

Empty toilet rolls with kibble and the ends folded in , Tissue boxes, or cereal boxes with treats or kibble inside, and small holes to allow the bits to fall out are still his favourite toys.

If you have an opportunity, take an old towel or a toy, and rub it on Mum and the other pups, and then bring it home for his crate, the familiar scent is soothing.

We had trouble encouraging Jingo to toilet at first- he was stubborn. So after he did his first "business" we left it for a few days, as we found he would sniff it each time before toileting. It seemed to remind him to go.

Enjoy the "crazy" upheaval in your house, it is the most fun time wasting time in your puppy's life.

Keep a newspaper tightly rolled up nearby- Use it when needed to belt yourself over the head when Puppy makes a mistake. This works best while repeating the mantra- "I am silly, I let puppy make a mistake" :eek::rofl: (Yes, I have newspaper welts from "forgetting" to close doors, put slippers out of reach, and not noticing him "locking" himself in the lounge room, and needing to toilet..... I swear, it was for like 2 minutes... aarrgh.)

I can't wait for updates.

Di

Edited by tikira

when we were buying puppy shampoo, most of them say not to use it until pups are over 12 weeks. The lady in the shop said that it is because their skin is too sensitive when they're younger, and they shouldn't need washing anyway. It might be worth just getting some baby wipes to clean up any poo that gets stood in, in the meantime :)

We use baby wipes for everything around here so we have plenty! Thanks for the tip.

I forgot, we bought a small fleece blanket for him so I'll take that along tomorrow to try get the Mum and other pups scent on it.

Thanks everyone! I'm such a newbie!