Failed Microchips

zeebie

This has been and continues to be a major pain in my neck over the last two weeks.

I took a litter to be chipped and I watched as they went in and the vet scanned them as there and reading

A couple of days later I had a puppy all ready to be going home with the new owner driving 6 hours to get here - Sunday no vet open

When I went to scan the pup - no chip coming up - so I assumed it was my scanner and I scanned all of the other puppies thinking that if I could all of the others to scan by process of elimination I would know what the chip was of the pup I was sending home - Nup couldn't do that as two of them didn't scan

So rather than send the new owner home with out her pup we agreed that I would take the other pup to the vet next morning , have it scanned so we would know what her chip number was - she was taking the pup to her own vet anyway later that day. So when I get to the vet its clear its not my scanner as the chip isnt scanning for the vet either - we tried all over the pup to no avail and we could feel where the chip had gone in but couldn't feel a chip.

So I re chipped the pup I had and the new owner chipped the one she had .I cancelled the old chip numbers with the council - or rather so far I've tried to cancel them.

I have now sent 12 emails, 8 text messages and left 8 voice mail messages for the new owner to give me the new chip number . Without the chip number I cant register any of my litter as the CC requires all puppies from a litter to be registered at once and to have chip numbers and I dont know what the chip number is in that pup. Also today I received a letter from the council telling me they acknowledge my notice that the two chips which they had recorded for dogs in my name had failed but they refuse to change them until I provide them with the two new chip numbers - and because the new owner is not answering I only have one.

Now Im thinking when the new owner had the pup chipped it should show up on the CAR in her name so maybe the council could find it for me if I give them her name and address - maybe

Im not that worried about the council as I think I could cover it via a stat dec if I have to but the registration of the pedigrees continues to be an issue until I can get the new number.

By the way the numbers start with those numbers in the article and so do the numbers for the rest of the litter. icon_smile_mad.gif

What a pain.

Edited by Steve

It's a joke! Most of the public will have no idea about this. Virbac was supposed to be covering the costs of rechipping, but only for a limited time apparently. It is so ridiculous!! Thinking I might contact a journo about this...

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add to this; my rescue dog came with chip details and only by chance I found out it was faulty (had him over a year before I found out). I asked at my vet and they confirmed the faulty Virbac chips and if I wanted him re-chipped for free, I had to go back to vet who did the original one. As this wasn't an option (too far in hot car!) I got it done again with them. Wasn't a problem for me to pay again, but unknowingly not having him chipped all that time was concerning. Paranoia now sees me asking chip to be checked every vet visit :D