Teaching To Speak On Command

When I was younger, late one night, a friend and I were having a leak in some bushes behind a business-house. Suddenly, in the silence, there was an enormous "WOOF!" less than a metre away, and we turned around startled, desperately trying to do up our flies. It was the nightwatchman with an enormous grin, and his dog. I thought "Wow! I want a dog that can do that."

When my older dog was a puppy, we lived in a house with a possum up the tree directly outside the back door, about six or seven meters away. At an early age, she had learned the command, "Enough!" to stop barking and settle down, although the possum still bothered her and she would get agitated and bark every time we'd open the backdoor. She'd still be restrained by the fly-screen door. I knew when she was about to bark, and started to use the command "Speak!" the moment before she would bark, then "Enough!" Sometimes I'd walk away from the backdoor, and she quickly learned to associate the command "Speak!" with a bark at the backdoor. I tried it in other situations, and found that there needed to be some sort of stimulus that she would naturally bark at, otherwise she would turn and bark at me. :)

Unfortunately, there were never many situations where I found it safe to encourage her to bark. More the opposite where I would discourage her from barking. We never really perfected the speak command, and, on the command "Speak!" without something real to bark at, she invariably turns to me with an excited but slightly muffled "Woof!" She will let fly if I say "Speak!" and there is really something there.

What have I done wrong? :)

I keep an eye out and predict when the dog will bark and slip a speak command in and hand signal just before the bark comes out. Then reward.

It was easy for my new pup as he always barks at himself in mirrors so I just plonked him in front of the mirror and waited with a clicker.

I've often wondered what hand-signal the nightwatchman used. He certainly made no sound before his dog scared the daylights out of us. Is there a standard signal? That would be really cool.

Edited by dogmatic

I have seen two signals used - a rabbit ears and wiggle the ears (hold fist up with palm facing the dog and straighten two fingers and wiggle fingers towards dog and hold a fist with fingers towards dog and explode fingers out like a star. I use the first one. No idea why or where I got it from.

We taught tip to speak by the command and the exploding fist hand signal when he was about to bark.... the hilarious thing was he would "whisper" his bark, and we then had to invent a signal to get it louder... I guess we accidentally rewarded the soft bark :D . but it did make a good party trick.

Di

Foxy kind of knows this one, but she does a few "dry runs" before an actual sound comes out...

We've also encouraged our dogs to be quiet from the start so I guess when I was teaching her I got kind of desperate and started to reward even non attempts, like opening and closing her mouth... Hmm yea so she just kinda barks but completely without any sound once or twice and eventually she will let out a real bark. After that first one, continued asking will receive real barks.... Just not that first time....

I am hoping this will improve with practice. I ask her to do it in town and other random places, as long as I don't feel like we are bothering anybody. Obviously I wouldn't tell her to bark in the middle of dog training or whatever, but learning to do it around distractions is great, she seems to skip the silent barks sometimes if there is lots of activity around her and in that case I give her a jackpot reward. Hopefully she will catch on soon.

Is there anything that he will produce any kind of sound at?

Going through this with OH's dog atm... Short of firing a gun I cannot seem to make him produce any noise at all (he is gun shy and will bark at this but I do not want to encourage this in any way, shape or form as he drives me totally bananas when I am shooting within hearing of the house as he will not stop unless someone is there to interrupt the behavior and he drives away all the game! :mad )

I will be trying to let him watch the other dogs do it and get rewarded and hopefully he will either catch on or get frustrated enough to give me something to work with :p

The only time he is vocal is when he is playing biteyface with Eva - and then it's not barks but weird high pitched noises!

I could count on one hand the number of times he has barked. It's been random each time too.

Actually - he is bloody good at sooking/whinning.

i had friend who had to re-locate a possum. they're a protected species. put an ad in the paper; 'wanted, one possum.' :D

i don't know how the professionals do it. they must have some stimulus. a recording of a cat, maybe. :noidea:

Sorry, no brilliant ideas, but I had a standard poodle that I never heard bark for 6 months+

I was home and the dogs were with me a lot.

Seriously!

Might have been because my other, smaller dog did enough barking for both of them?

Now I have a standard that barks too much, so reading this thread with interest.