Who Chooses A Puppy?

Cosmolo

see? I suck with words lol. I meant the word thing and the social anxiety as separate issues. ya I can't express myself in conversation, but I am just as bad in written word, I don't have clear idea's to be able to express.

heck your example is what scares me! I am terrified that a breeder would consider my anxiety as part of the equation, and that would work out badly because my anxiety does not affect my dogs in any way, shape or form.

as for choosing myself. ..out of 8 dogs past and present 5 I chose, 2 were dropped in my lap and 1 was chosen for me. the 5 I chose are all very different but all perfect for me in every way, the 2 dropped in my lap... 1 was perfect, the other is...only with me because nobody else can stand him lol. the one chosen for me? doesn't have a single quality I wanted, not a one.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see? I suck with words lol. I meant the word thing and the social anxiety as separate issues. ya I can't express myself in conversation, but I am just as bad in written word, I don't have clear idea's to be able to express.

heck your example is what scares me! I am terrified that a breeder would consider my anxiety as part of the equation, and that would work out badly because my anxiety does not affect my dogs in any way, shape or form.

as for choosing myself. ..out of 8 dogs past and present 5 I chose, 2 were dropped in my lap and 1 was chosen for me. the 5 I chose are all very different but all perfect for me in every way, the 2 dropped in my lap... 1 was perfect, the other is...only with me because nobody else can stand him lol. the one chosen for me? doesn't have a single quality I wanted, not a one.

I understood what you meant lol, my partner is very direct and with his anxiety he comes across arrogant and aggressive, He is great with words but can't be bothered speaking, His anxiety puts him in defense mode instantly.

But because people either one have trouble words or don't actually know the true meaning of them I ask direct questions not is a survey but as conversations. I would ask what you want to do with the dog? answers usually end with family dog, but what exactly does that mean ? so many in so many different ways laugh.gif sometimes I get a friend for my daughter, replace a dog we lost recently. have an old dog getting old want to bring a new one in before he has gone. I have a dog and he needs company we want a girl, I have a disabled child ect

But it basically starts the converstation and gives some sort of direction to focus the next few questions on.

Eg Family dog answer, I need to know who is in the family and ages, what they do as a family, where they holiday, inside or outside, desexing, other pets and experience with dogs, working hours, obedience and socialization, and so on

the friend for my daughter answer, age of daughter, interest in dogs, who is responsible for care, is the daughter aware, work or school, as well as all of the above

the my dog needs a friend, why? what is the gender and age? is it desexed, why a girl? working hours, socialization? do they have a current vet?

The disabled, type of disability, have you had pets before, who recommended getting a pet? is there lengthy stays in hospital ect

All these are only to establish why they want a pup, and yest multiple correct answers for each. then there is a series of questions to what sort of activity level, drive, independence level and temperament is needed,

A lengthy convo on sex and colour always happens and usually each email focuses on a topic or to to make sure I know what they mean.

I don't just send out surveys and go by that and a lot of other people have question-airs but I am sure it is just the start to base there conversations on to find out what each answer means. People ring up or email and answer all these questions which most are basic so they have already have the perfect answer or a basic one and just say whatever to get the pup.

On the other hand as the idea of a reputable breeder is now one who allocates puppies based on suitability, people are saying and doing this just to be able to sell pups and at a high price. The research of the breeder and asking questions yourself and being happy with the answers is as important as us asking the puppy people.

Also when we base our ideas of our puppies they are usually 6-8 weeks and personalities are still developing, we do our best to match but if a person isn't happy usually you can tell that in the first couple of weeks and maybe contacting the breeder and discussing the situation is needed. A lot of people say is wasn't what I wanted or explain I needed, then maybe the pup should be returned and either wait for a more suitable or go to another breeder.

I haven't experienced it yet but if someone is specific in their requirements and don't get what they want why do they keep it? then say later it wasn't what I wanted but hey!

A few things could have happened the leaving the breeder and entering into your home could have forced the puppy to adapt as it saw fit, the household and other animals could have influenced the personality development, or it could have progressed that way on it's own over time but very well could have been exactly what was asked for at the beginning.

Just like genetic health issues can have environmental factors, personality and temperament does too. And everything from training, change in location , exposure to more traffic or less, other animals personalities and pack orders, human contact, where they spend the first week, all affect dogs differently and this is not to say the dog was unstable, but a happy go lucky pup who was 3rd or 4th in pack leader that goes to a 1 dog home will change. the pack leader pup going to a four dog home.