Prozac Use In Dogs - How Long, Did It Work Etc.

Following on from the other thread I started on this dog with pancreatitis, I am seeking experiences with Prozac.

This dog was surrendered by an elderly person who had some mental issues and the dog has been in their home for 6 years and picked up on their anxieties.

This dog has separation anxiety, he's not interested in my other dogs and I found out he can climb trees and scale fences when you leave him. Since he's been here he hasn't done that but his behaviour was very anxious for example if I sat down he'd fly at me -landing on my poor little dogs who are half his size and knock everyone out of the way, he never relaxed and I was terrified he'd get out of my yard which is secure but if he can climb 6ft fences he can obviously get out of most places.

I went to the vet and he has put him on a course of Prozac. Since he started on Wed he has calmed down to the point where he will now sit on the sofa and stay there if I leave the room. He is also sleeping through the night in a crate now.

I have dealt with mild separation anxiety many times and given advice to people on what to do. I did have a severe case with an elderly dog and tried Clomicalm, it didn't work and the dog was doing serious physical damage to itself and I took advice from my vet and had to let her go after trying for some time. That was an owner surrender who didn't tell me the truth and this is another case.

I was wondering what other people's experiences were with Prozac, how long did the dog stay on it (or did they have to be on it permanently?).

Obviously this is going to be a very challenging rehome but I want to give him every chance.

We had a negative experience on it, the dog got more anxious and was pts. I think the important thing to remember with any meds is they should really only be used in conjunction with a behavioural modification program.

We haven't had a SA case we haven't been able to fix with our program (and most Danes come into care with SA), I think you've seen that already?

Stella my 3 year old BC has been on Kalma which is Prozac for over a year now. She is going well on it. She started on the 2mg tablet but was increased to 5mg.. She is normally a very anxious, nervous girl who is also severely noise phobic. Once spooked her anxiety levels remains in the heightened state for hours without meds. Stella also would get very minimal sleep without medication as she is 'noise patrol' & the slightest sound she takes off yelping & barking.

Prozac has helped Stella's over all mood. It takes the edge off but she isn't in a medicated haze either which is great. She recovers from being frightened far quicker & is not nearly as reactive. She also manages a day time nap most days & sleeps most nights.

Getting the dose right can be a little tricky I found. Trail & error,I tend to gauge her mood each day & also whats going on around us at the time. If there is any of her real triggers happening like thunderstorms,mowers,whipersnippers then I give her a 5mg tab. But if it fairly quite I will give her 2.5 mg. If she is having a bad day I have doubled her dose.

Must add she is also on Endep medication as well which I also find works well in conjuction with her Prozac.

Hope I have been of some help Dogmad :)

Had to edit as I forgot to add that my girl has always very needy & doesn't handle being on her own. So yes sep. Anxiety issues at times.

Edited by BC Crazy

We had a negative experience on it, the dog got more anxious and was pts. I think the important thing to remember with any meds is they should really only be used in conjunction with a behavioural modification program.

We haven't had a SA case we haven't been able to fix with our program (and most Danes come into care with SA), I think you've seen that already?

I used SAS's program in conjunction with Clomicalm for a couple of months with amazing success with Phoebe. :thumbsup:

I'd be interested in SAS' program. I'm doing my own program which is giving him very little attention, completely ignoring all dogs for 15 mins when I get home and for 15 mins before I go.

I practice coming and going at different times, mixing up the cues to my disappearance (I have to go to work every day).

I leave the radio or tv on and he's been dipping into my dirty washing basket (not content with the nightie I left him) and selecting some of my undies to get onto his bed - eek. :eek: The Iggies love underwear, another foster used to grab bras and sleep with them!

At night he'd love to sleep on my bed but I've got him in a crate, since day one, all covered over.

He now goes in by choice. He also chooses to sit in a different room, on a different part of the sofa to me (instead of on top of me), I hope we are on the up and up.

I've been teaching him housetraining and how to use the doggie door, Iggies are very slow to learn and this generally takes about 2 weeks, he's going well in this aspect.

My GSD female was on Prozac for around 6 months. I will have to check the mg. It worked well for her as she is highly anxious but when I left my home and fiancée, I guess I changed and she is so perceptive that she seemed a lot calmer. So she was able to be weaned off. Now she only gets a couple of 1 mg Xanax during storms.

Stella my 3 year old BC has been on Kalma which is Prozac for over a year now.

Kalma is alprazolam, which is the same as Xanax.

Oh sorry rappie my mistake I stand corrected. I knew it was either or Prozac or Xanax.

Edited by BC Crazy

No problem :o I didn't mean that to be terse, I was just flicking through the forums while waiting for dinner to arrive and thought I'd mention it. Clearly lacking the brain function to write a more complete sentence :laugh:

My. rescue bulldog has been on it for about a year. He was separated in the pound from his mate and has separation anxiety and is highly dog reactive. He started on 30mg but I found he was too sleepy on that. He manages well on 20mg. I work from home and probably leave him only once or twice a week for a few hours with someone else at home. He's gone from being inconsolable, pacing, howling and scratching to being mildly concerned, he will sit on his beanbag looking out the window for most of the time but will also now seek out someone else for a bit of company. This last week I had to leave him alone twice for a few hours because of a family emergency and he has been slightly more clingy but not unmanageable (doesn't have to come into the bathroom with me and will chew his bone at some distance whilst I'm in the garden).

When I've tried to drop the dose to 17mg the first time the Sep Anx came back badly and the last time the reactivity increased. He does get more playful and lively on a lower dose but not worth the downside.

I get his bloods checked every 6 months and no issues so far. He will probably be on it forever although I will lower the dose periodically to check if its still necessary. Although initially the Prozac was too target his reactivity it's probably had more of an effect on his sep Anx, the only negative is that he is more dopey but having discussed it with the vet she believes it's the best for him.

With some dogs you can use it as an aid in a behaviour modification program that will see you taper the medication eventually. For some dogs the problem simply isn't learned or amenable to behaviour modification alone, and they will need to stay on it forever. I don't know how to judge which category any particular dog will be in, I'm often surprised.