Reciprocal Dog-sitting Arrangement

humdrum

Well hello everyone, first appearance :)

I have an approx 4-5yo English Pointer X, and I want to find a reciprocal dogsitting arrangment for her.

So far she was staying with friends with small dogs, and if my friends where away, I would stay there with Zara. (also a cat and rabbit - she seems save with everything bar possums maybe ;))

However I sometimes travel WITH these friends !! And I can't bear the thought of putting Zara in a kennel. She is a little spoilt :)

I would have thought there are many such arrangements in place, however I can't find anything here on the forums !!

Does anyone have experience with this, or is it mostly something everyone does with friends they already know ?

Ideally I'd like to find a similar breed owner who also from time to time has to go away. It would be a means of socializing my Zara a little more (she's shy), obviously having someone she will know after a while, saving money, all the usual...

I'd been thinking about this for a while, but just know start asking as a dog sitter has just pulled out on me for next week... so if anyone also has any suggestions for late notice sitting in Bayside Melbourne, that would be great !!

Silvia

I have an approx 4-5yo English Pointer X, and I want to find a reciprocal dogsitting arrangment for her.

So far she was staying with friends with small dogs, and if my friends where away, I would stay there with Zara. (also a cat and rabbit - she seems save with everything bar possums maybe ;))

However I sometimes travel WITH these friends !! And I can't bear the thought of putting Zara in a kennel. She is a little spoilt :)

I would have thought there are many such arrangements in place, however I can't find anything here on the forums !!

Does anyone have experience with this, or is it mostly something everyone does with friends they already know ?

Ideally I'd like to find a similar breed owner who also from time to time has to go away. It would be a means of socializing my Zara a little more (she's shy), obviously having someone she will know after a while, saving money, all the usual...

I'd been thinking about this for a while, but just know start asking as a dog sitter has just pulled out on me for next week... so if anyone also has any suggestions for late notice sitting in Bayside Melbourne, that would be great !!

Silvia

You could apply to join GSP Lovers Australia on FB. Yes I know, not EPs but people who understand Pointers in general. It is a closed group but I can put your name forward to the Admins if you want to message me.

Many of the members there live Bayside. (a very supportive dog community)

]You could apply to join GSP Lovers Australia on FB. Yes I know, not EPs but people who understand Pointers in general. It is a closed group but I can put your name forward to the Admins if you want to message me.

Many of the members there live Bayside. (a very supportive dog community)

That's an excellent idea. I'm lucky to have neighbours who also own my breed & we have a fantastic reciprocal sitting arrangement.

Hope you find what you want.

Silvia

Where (suburb) are you located/ How often do you need a sitter?

• 6 months later...

Hello again !

I'm bringing back this post as I want to re-explore this sitting thing ;)

I have now moved to Adelaide, and would like to make some doggie friends for my Zara, so then we can help each other whenever one party goes away.

I'm currently just renting a room until I find the right house to rent (beachside suburbs of Adelaide)

So, maybe someone in Adelaide is in the same boat ?

I go away normally for shorter trips a few times a year, for example 2014 so far looks like this:

4 days early March

4 days June

2 1/2 weeks end of July

maybe a week end of September

5 days early December

Otherwise a doggy friend alone would already be good, she's getting more confident and would love a running mate !!

Most local dog sitter are giving up the job because many have been made aware of the great cost of insurance you need to hold should the persons that you are sitting for threaten legal action over any thing. :)

I am not looking for a commercial dogsitter. I am looking to find a dogowner that also sometimes goes away and we can help each other keep our dogs happy, and common sense prevails :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am not looking for a commercial dogsitter. I am looking to find a dogowner that also sometimes goes away and we can help each other keep our dogs happy, and common sense prevails :)

I understand you're looking for the kind of arrangement we have with our long-term neighbours... who are also good friends. They're also Tibbie tragics & we look after their tibetan spaniel, Lily. And they look after our tibbie girls, Nina Zena & Annie.

Lily loves coming over to stay with her besties. When her owners are going to the airport, they just pop her over the fence & she runs up the back deck & 'knocks' on the door. We even look after each others dogs on short-term basis.... like if either of us will be out for a full day & into the evening.