Senior Or Therapy Dog Wanted (well, Kind Of - Until It's Sell By D

I just received a call from a lovely older lady in Canberra area looking for a senior dog / therapy dog for her friend's husband, who has cancer and not long to live.

They are looking for a small, senior dog, that would be good company for the man during his last few days/weeks/months.

However, she has made it very clear to me that the wife has no intention of wanting to keep the dog after husband passes away. She 'thinks' & 'hopes' though, the wife may have a change of heart down the track.

:confused:

Edited by Tweety

I agree. That's no plan for the dog.

Look for any community group that does pet therapy visits... which might include to a private home.

My tibbie, Angel, was 'used' in such a program. She'd be taken to visit & spend time with a young boy, about 13 yrs old, who had a terminal illness & was in his last months of life. Rest of the time, he had a photo of her on his bedside table. He really loved her. Angel loved visiting him... they'd just happily chill out together. When he died, his mother put the pic of Angel in his coffin.

Edited by mita

Look what I found, in the Canberra area. Calvary retirement services. Includes visits to private homes & lists assist with pet therapy among what they do. Maybe enquire if they'd help in a case like the OP.

http://www.calvary-canberra.org.au/volunteers.html

Well done Mita, that's a much kinder option for the dog but possibly also better for the husband and wife. if the wife feels that way about the dog, it could be a source of some unhappiness if the dog has accidents etc which would be best avoided at that time.

I have rehomed a dog previously to a terminally ill young man, it was quite awful however his wife was on board and the dog would be hers as well. He only had weeks to live and he was in his late 20s, it was his last wish. He was in obvious pain whilst I was there but the whole family and friends had turned out to see him made very happy.