Travelling With Dogs On Hot Days

dwynwen

If you have a hatch or a wagon - please remember that it can get pretty hot right up the back under that sloping rear window, and the aircon often just doesn't get that far)

That is all.

(From she who was possibly getting a little close to the back of the little hatch yesterday checking that the cocker spaniel was doing ok in the 40 degree conditions)

Well said... and another point to remember is to check the floor of wagons/hatches when they have been driving for a while. Often there is significant heat rising through the floor. I use insulation sheeting under their bedding to keep the heat out.

Darkest legal window tinting and Puppy Bars or similar for when pulled over, even for short stops helps too.

Non-spill water bowls

:D

good reminder

I let D sit in the middle of the wagon and he's learnt to stick his face in front of the rear air con vents LOL

I also open the windows occasionally if he's really interested in where we are going and keep water bottles/bowls

Mine are either in the cab (if one or two) or in the tray of the ute (if all 4).One of the main reasons I bought my car (Rodeo ute with fibreglass canopy) is because of how cool it stays in the back. It was an accident really, I was looking at wagons etc on a disgustingly hot day and stopped for a rest. opened the tailgate of a similar ute to the one I bought to have a sit down and it was a good 10-15 degrees cooler in there than it was outside, even though it had been sitting in full sun all day.

I have some rubber-backed marine carpet in there to make it softer and more grippable for their footsies, and I still stop often to make sure they're okay and give them water and a stretch :)

The only improvements I want to make are sealing the canopy to the cab and removing the rear window so I can reach them (and yell at them when they're being idiots.)

The only improvements I want to make are sealing the canopy to the cab and removing the rear window so I can reach them (and yell at them when they're being idiots.)

Buy a Triton 4wd double cab ute, the rear window can be lowered so that the canopy is 'connected'. :D

Mine are either in the cab (if one or two) or in the tray of the ute (if all 4).One of the main reasons I bought my car (Rodeo ute with fibreglass canopy) is because of how cool it stays in the back. It was an accident really, I was looking at wagons etc on a disgustingly hot day and stopped for a rest. opened the tailgate of a similar ute to the one I bought to have a sit down and it was a good 10-15 degrees cooler in there than it was outside, even though it had been sitting in full sun all day.

What make of canopy is it? We looked at a bunch and I think only one or two had an insulation layer .. muggins travels in the back seat of the dual cab, I was hoping to do some rescue transport but ended up getting overruled in favour of better visabiliy (got a tonneau instead)