Tips For Training A Food Obsessed Dog?

He is nuts lol! When I am preparing food in the kitchen, he stands at my feet STARING at the floor in case I drop something! And I was only using kibble when training! He is raw fed so I guess kibble is different for him, but yeah nothing exciting.

He is nuts lol! When I am preparing food in the kitchen, he stands at my feet STARING at the floor in case I drop something! And I was only using kibble when training! He is raw fed so I guess kibble is different for him, but yeah nothing exciting.

That's odd, mine stare at the food. If I drop something on the floor they don't notice as they are so focused on where the food is!

Right, quick update. I have been focusing on 'cleaning up' his tricks, eg all feet on the floor before praising the sit, and perfecting his high fives. Haven't had a whole lot of time to practise but he is doing great. :D He is so funny and so enthusiastic! I'll have to try and get a video. :)

• 4 months later...

Robbie is still here but I admit I've been a bit slack with his training. Did manage to toilet train him though which was an effort in itself! I have been trying to teach him to settle inside - all he wants to do is pace around the house looking for food. Currently doing that by putting him on a lead and making him sit near me. Seems to be working but not sure if anyone has any other ideas? Have also been trying to teach him to be a bit calmer around food and will not give him a treat until he settles. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing though, just bumbling along. Thinking about joining a club to get some more ideas and experiences.

Huski do you also use yes as a reward marker (and release)? Or is it release only (so you're always saying good ?)

Yep the release word also marks behaviour. I use a trigger word to put the dog in drive; then I give a command such as sit. If the dog is only just learning I would say yes as soon as the dog complied which releases the dog to the reward (I don't reward in position, I would use yes or good to mark the position).

Once I want to extend the position I would say ready (my trigger word) command (sit) marker (goooood) and then after x time I would give the release word (yes).

Eventually I would fade out 'good' once the behavior was durable and I would randomly use 'yes' to reward the dog unpredictably.

I just have a question Huski. Is there a reason why you don't reward in position. I haven't heard of this & wondered what is the benefit of doing so :) Is it just a personal preference?

He sleeps in a crate and will quite happily stay in one, but I don't really have space for one in the living room. I might have to make room. He is so cute but so damn challenging!

He sleeps in a crate and will quite happily stay in one, but I don't really have space for one in the living room. I might have to make room. He is so cute but so damn challenging!

Maybe look at mat training then? It can be easier to start with to teach them to come in and relax in a set place.

ETA: if they can learn to switch off and relax in a crate they can do it in the house, I find mat training can be a good next step if you don't want to use the crate.

Edited by huski