Newborn Puppy Can't/won't Suckle...

woody2shoes

Thank you everyone for your support, assistance and most importantly, your wonderful success stories.

Ososwift is quite right! Little Oakley is absolutely thriving. He is well in excess of 530gms as of his last weigh in, can't drink enough at every feed and is clearly going to be just fine. :D It is now Day 12 and even though he now has ample strength to suckle on mum, he has decided he has an attitude and she can't feed him quickly enough!

In any case, he is now absolutely coming along in leaps and bounds (almost literally!) and it won't be long before he will be on solids when I expect he will do some serious catching up to his siblings. If not, then he will be a delightful smaller boy for someone special to love and cherish.

Here's a photo of all the babies taken this morning - that's Oakley on top. What he lacks in size he makes up for in tenacity! It was actually a little bit fresh overnight so they felt the need to pile on top of each other and do some serious snuggling. Warms my heart. :thumbsup:

post-14971-0-73623900-1390127035_thumb.jpg

Fantastic!! Great to hear of his positive progress. Love the photo. :thumbsup:

My opinion is that it was my decision to bring the litter into being, so it is my responsibility to give each one maximum opportunities to thrive and grow. Pups with serious problems usually die in a few days to a week anyhow, no matter what you do. Heartbreaking, but at least you did your best. JMHO

I share your opinion on this one Jed. Couldn't agree more.

Thanks everyone. Jed, I could not agree more either. I knew full well that if Oakley wasn't meant to make it, he would not survive very long no matter how hard I tried. He's tenacious though. In spite of my far from perfect early efforts, he not only survived, but is now thriving beautifully! He is so precious and between my husband's commitment and mine, he has been given every opportunity, all of which were fully deserved IMHO.

Bless his little cotton socks :whee::thumbsup::party::love::clap::cheer:

w2s