Animal Attractions/dog World

keetamouse

Animal Attractions/Dog World in the news again, I can't attach the article (maybe someone else can) from Saturdays Canberra Times, this time they have lost a dog and has been missing since the 3rd January.

I have just been talking to the owners and they are devastated.

So sad. I have heard through the grapevine (so can't confirm) that there are suspicions that the dog actually died and the salon didn't want to tell the family :( Suspicions are apparently based on the fact that there has been absolutely no trace of the little dog for so long.

Guest Wildthing

I would be suspicious of this story as well - given the history of the business. What puzzles me is how they stay in business - does no one do any research before trusting their dogs to groomers and/or kennels?

For those people who do not access sites like this or are in active rescue, they generally do not bother to do any research as they believe (foolishly) what they are told by someone in a salon because they 'think' people are in business and can be trusted. Most people (as above), do not necessarily read newspapers or watch the TV news. Even less likely when they have young children to deal with. Very sad situation.

Personally I would not believe that a customer opened the door and the dog escaped purely because the customer has either just dropped their dog off at the salon or has just collected it. Dogs of that age may well have a heart attach and die. Unless the dog is found, no one except the salon staff will know the truth.

Edited by Wildthing

Apparently the owners have had no communication from Lance Baker at all, also according to a staff member she was taken into the foyer by a staff member for god knows what reason and then ran out the door when it was opened, this man needs to be shut down, how many other dogs will die because of him.

Is there any way the owners can charge him for "animal neglect" so that there can be an investigation by the police and all the staff be interviewed including him of what actually happened, can this be done?

I understand that there is an ongoing legal case against Mr Baker for the dogs that were burnt.

I have spoken to the owners yesterday.

Maree

CPR

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the owners have had no communication from Lance Baker at all, also according to a staff member she was taken into the foyer by a staff member for god knows what reason and then ran out the door when it was opened, this man needs to be shut down, how many other dogs will die because of him.

Is there any way the owners can charge him for "animal neglect" so that there can be an investigation by the police and all the staff be interviewed including him of what actually happened, can this be done?

I understand that there is an ongoing legal case against Mr Baker for the dogs that were burnt.

I have spoken to the owners yesterday.

Maree

CPR

Maree - there is an offence. RSPCA and Police are able to investigate under the Animal Welfare Act. A penalty unit is currently $140, so it has a maximum fine of $14,000

Animal Welfare Act 1992

Release

A person commits an offence if the person releases an animal from custody or control.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units, imprisonment for 1 year or both.

A person in charge of an animal commits an offence if the person does not take adequate precautions to prevent the release of the animal from custody or control.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units, imprisonment for 1 year or both.