Incontinence Is Back Again...

Nicole0611

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for responding to this. I've searched through the forums trying to find an answer to my question but can't seem to find much.

Dori - my 2 year old Basenji cross - was diagnosed with spay incontinence almost exactly a year ago. The vet prescribed her with Incurin and it helped. The issue pretty much stopped entirely by the time she finished her prescription. The vet did tell us that incontinence is not something that just goes away, and they were right. A few weeks ago we noticed that it was back.

I was just wondering if it was worth it putting her on incurin year after year after year, or whether we should try something else. I'm not particularly keen on giving her other drugs either as I've read about side effects and it scares me a little :/

Is there something out there that could fix the incontinence? Has anyone tried alternative therapies and had success with an issue like this?

I used propalin for my old girl. I started on the reccomended dose and was able to maintain her on a much lower dose( not sure if you're meant to do that or not?) over the years I found she could go without in cooler months and needed it on and off during summer, I think water intake related. Anyway not sure if this is the "correct" way but it worked for her. Just my 2c!

I don't think I'd use it long term but we treated Sascha's spay incontinence 8 years ago with a single course of oestrogen and it took until mid last year to re-occur and another single course seems to have settled it again. Seemed in her case that it was a case of needing her hormones 'reset' and that lasted for nearly 7 years!

I'm interested in this subject, too. I've started Tamar (approx 10 years old, Maltese Shih Tzu cross) on Propaline. The first time I tried it, after a couple of days (ie 4 doses, tiny) I notice she was acting a bit strangely. On vet's advise I stopped it and they were researching some other medications. I started her again on Propaline a few days ago and she seems fine, but last night she had a really big leak, luckily on her bedding and not mine. As she sleeps on my bed and tends to move around through the night, I really want a solution.

I know some dogs are really upset about incontinence, but it certainly doesn't worry Tamar :( .

I can't personally vouch for either of these in your dog's circumstances, but I've heard that there is a particular Bowen technique for spay incontinence. You would need to find a practitioner who could provide this - or perhaps consult an animal osteopath. We also had success stopping one of our dog's quite serious incontinence with a combination of acupuncture (and a course of anti-inflams). Although her incontinence was being caused by pressure on nerves from a spinal condition, I'm pretty sure the acupuncturist said that acupuncture can also benefit other types. There are also herbal supports for incontinence. I would suggest that any of these alternative therapies are best used as supports for a regime that also includes veterinary medicine. But they may make it possible for Dori to be on a much lower dose of medication.

There are range of incontinence medications - propalin, stilboestral...

I would talk to your vet about it. I've also heard that Bowen can produce good results.

I have a older male at home on Propaplin and a older female poodle on Stilboestral. The propaplin is a twice a day every day medication and the stilboestral is now down to once a month.

It pays to remember that any "alternative" therapies that require ingestion are still drugs - untested drugs mostly with unknown side effects for the most part. Sometimes conventional drugs are the best option.

Just out of interest, how old was she when she was desexed?

Thanks everyone!

I have read into acupuncture and it sounds like a great option. I might bring her to the vet anyway and ask if they think it's an option worth considering. Also will need to start looking for a reliable acupuncturist in Perth! (so if you guys have any recommendations feel free to let me know!)

Haredown Whippets - I adopted her when she was 7 months from the RSPCA and she still had the stitches then so I think it was around then.

Try contacting Ross Wilson at Coburg Health here in Victoria. There are others like him around, but he's the only good one I know of down here. He works with natural herbal remedies which are prescribed to suit via hair-DNA analysis. If there's anyone closer, great, but this can be done via the post without the necessity to see your dog. It's a fairly simple process. Anyway, if you have a word to him via telephone and specifically chat with him about the chances of recovery/support for incontinence issues, you can decide from there as to whether you wish to proceed with hair-DNA testing and analysis and the natural herbal remedies he suggests.

I've had some good responses in my dog, also my Mum as a result of the herbal support/remedies suggested for each.

My vet tried Misty on Sepia 2000 before trying meds for her incontinance, had to try a few dosing schedules before it worked but 1 dose every 12 hours for 3 doses total, resulted in no incontinance for 3 months at a time and by the time the bottle was done i just never got more and she never peed herself again, it was great!

My vet tried Misty on Sepia 2000 before trying meds for her incontinance, had to try a few dosing schedules before it worked but 1 dose every 12 hours for 3 doses total, resulted in no incontinance for 3 months at a time and by the time the bottle was done i just never got more and she never peed herself again, it was great!

Do you mean the homeopathic remedy Sepia? Sepia is often used for female health problems.