Benefits Of Yoghurt And Probiotics

Jonah has had issues with yeast infections in his ears and skin since I have had him requiring weekly Malaseb baths and ear cleanings every 2 days and even then having problems.

I read something a few weeks ago ago about yoghurt and probiotics boosting the immune system and reducing yeast infections. So I figured I have nothing to lose and bought some natural yoghurt with ABC cultures and some Inner Health capsules. The results have been astonishing,its been about 3 weeks now and his ears are the cleanest I have ever seen and its nearly 1.5 weeks since his last bath and he still doesnt feel greasy or smell.

I capsule and a tablespoon of yoghurt everyday is all it seems to take, hope it stays this way

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonah has had issues with yeast infections in his ears and skin since I have had him requiring weekly Malaseb baths and ear cleanings every 2 days and even then having problems.

I read something a few weeks ago ago about yoghurt and probiotics boosting the immune system and reducing yeast infections. So I figured I have nothing to lose and bought some natural yoghurt with ABC cultures and some Inner Health capsules. The results have been astonishing,its been about 3 weeks now and his ears are the cleanest I have ever seen and its nearly 1.5 weeks since his last bath and he still doesnt feel greasy or smell.

I capsule and a tablespoon of yoghurt everyday is all it seems to take, hope it stays this way

That's very encouraging Canetoad. I might try them with my dogs who have allergy issues with their ears hence they get yeast infections too.

Probiotics combined with fibre have helped me enormously with an autoimmune condition that has improved by about 80% since I started taking Inner Health Plus caps daily (in my case it took a couple of years).

You might find this Catalyst segment of interest, especially the video. It is about human health and probiotics.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873729.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I jumped back on here. Haven't posted for ages as Charlie and Jasper have been quite good , that is until we decided to go to Tasmania and they went to the minder. Charlie came down with diarrhea jan 10 and has been up and down since. Visit to vet showed tapeworms even though I give interceptor every month. Didn't realise they can get them any time. But it appears maybe he has irritable bowel. Some days ok then others off , eating grass and sloppy poo. Have been giving him Ensal med for that. I asked about yoghurt or pro biotics and she said not suitable. Wants to do an inside look then put him on something. Only prob is last vet visit for teeth cleaning cost me $1000 for them both because Charlie's blood test showed a high reading for an enzyme in his liver. He's on URSIDOL and milk thistle for this although while he's been sick I've stopped that. He's always had a sensitive tummy but every time I go it's another test , another lot of medicine. I would like to try something first His diet is same. Chicken necks and holistic select fish biscuits which I bought for Jasper because of his constant scratching and chewing holes in his feet. Fingers crossed I've had a month now that he hasn't had to,wear his Elizabethan collar.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable, but it doesn't seem like the sort of condition that should need surgical intervention? And I don't see how trying probiotics could possibly be harmful, and it could well be very beneficial. Seems worth trying. My boy is prone to upset tummies too, and probiotics make a huge difference for him. I completely understand wanting to try something else before having more surgery and/or medication!!

I've had Katie on Vetafarm Probotic powder for about a week, early days I know but if anything her skin yeast infection is getting worse.

yda6e5ep.jpg

Not sure if I should stop the powder and put her on Inner Health Plus capsules.

As much as she likes her nightly serving of milk I'm going to stop giving it to her.

My local pet supplier has urged me to stop bathing her in Malasab "too harsh on dog" and instead soak affected parts of her body in diluted apple cider vinegar.

===

Edited by Morita

I've had Katie on Vetafarm Probotic powder for about a week, early days I know but if anything her skin yeast infection is getting worse.

yda6e5ep.jpg

Not sure if I should stop the powder and put her on Inner Health Plus capsules.

As much as she likes her nightly serving of milk I'm going to stop giving it to her.

My local pet supplier has urged me to stop bathing her in Malasab "too harsh on dog" and instead soak affected parts of her body in diluted apple cider vinegar.

===

It wouldn't surprise me that Malasab is too harsh. Like flea shampoos that contain alot of chemicals, it can really dry out the skin and the sulphates are way too harsh and can cause flakiness - the negatives simply outweigh the positives. If it were necessary to use a medicated shampoo, I would not be using it as a regular shampoo. I tried for years with my girl who has sensitive skin and occasionally used medicated shampoos and regularly used herbal washes. I also tried apple cider vinegar and I agree that it is a good option too but the pH of ACV is very high as well so I didn't think it was wise to use long term. Let me know how you go with it.

You don't need this kind of harsh chemical to treat this - please try the calendula . Rinse in it and feed the spent tea to the dog fixes the skin issues and boosts the immune system.The active ingredient in malaseb is Miconazole - dangerous if ingested but anything applied on the skin and especially when you are directed to have it sit for 10 minutes is absolutely the last resort in my opinion as it absorbs through the skin - the dog's and yours. If you PM me your address Ill also send you a sample of a herbal cologne spray which you can use on bedding and living areas as well as the dog to cut down on re contracting spores etc from the environment. Every time you see a flea you have a high chance you have tape worm as the flea is the host for it - if you are looking at pre and pro biotics - much better to go protexin or inner health or similar rather than yoghurt - heaps bigger dosage - and remember to keep it refrigerated. If you buy a probiotic from a stock feed place make sure of its use by date and don't buy it if its not in the fridge. By the time you buy it - the good bacteria is dead.

The Vetafarm Probotic powder wasn't in a fridge when I bought it.

Maybe I should turf it and buy Inner Health Plus capsules. Does anybody know if the human variety from a standard chemist is ok and how many to give a small dog?

==

Edited by Morita

I use the normal inner health plus, and give one capsule to my 30kg boy. You could do half a capsule if you're worried, but I think 1 would be ok.

Re. Inner Health Plus and dosages - it might be something you could ask your vet. Vets usually give information for over the counter antihistamines and correct dosages so maybe they might be willing to impart information on the IHP.

The max daily requirements havent been established in dogs or humans - really high over dose like when they eat the whole bottle will show some runny poos but wont cause any long lasting harm.

Protexin is 1- 2 g for puppies and 2-6 g for dogs - implies the small dog should get about 1/3 of what you give a big dog, a medium sized dog should get 2/3 dose if that helps - however a great big adult human gets the same dose as a 5 year old child of inner health.

Still giving 1 human refrigerated Inner Health plus capsule and a tablespoon of Jalna or Brooklea yoghurt a day and ear cleanings are down to 1 a week and could possibly do it less frequently.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

thumbsup1.gif

Thanks everyone.

I've started her on half a capsule per day.

How long before I should (hopefully) expect an improvement?

I'm also going to start her on Apple Cider Vinegar / Hydrogen Peroxide spray on her skin.

Hi Morita, there isn't one remedy out there that will work for all dogs and finding treatment that works for your dog can be a case of trial and error so it's worth a try. The only concern I have is if you spray this on broken skin it will sting.

I would do anything I could to avoid using malaseb. Apple cidar vinegar will kill it if its fungus, or bacterial or parasites and take any chemicals out but its got a bite to it as essential dog says on open skin. Just remember you are not trying to pickle it so only use it diluted 1/3 cup to 4 cups of water max and because its so acidic you dont want to use it every day - use it for a couple of days then stop and see it you still need it. This thread will help too. Link With both Apple Cidar Vinegar and Calendula you should see improvement very quickly . ACV will kill it very quickly especially if its mites or fleas but may cause a bit of itchiness as its going down. Calendula will be more gentle and give instant relief to any itchiness but its not so good with mites and fleas.

Edited by Steve

And - if you put a capful of ACV into the dogs water bowl it will help keep its teeth clean and make sure no bugs can live in the water bowl - stops it from going green in the sun too - the minerals that are in it help prevent all kinds of things when taken internally and helps joints and digestion and a whole heap more - look it up.