Benefits Of Yoghurt And Probiotics

I have a vet appt this afternoon to confirm but I think I found the culprit for the itching... ticks. :eek: :eek: :eek: I have never ever had a dog with ticks before (if that's what they are) so I didn't even suspect. :(

I didn't know ticks could be so small though. I don't think they're fleas as I've never seen fleas just latch on to one spot and not move at all and it seems localised to his ears and a paw. I feel so bad, I'd felt the ones on the tip of Nacho's ear but just thought he'd scratched himself and it was a scab. :(

Grass ticks can get very tiny. I had my girl to the vets once as she was licking her paws. The vet found tiny little ticks between her toes, so tiny that I wouldn't have been able to see them without my reading glasses on. :( Fortunately they are not the deadly ones...just makes you itchy .

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks sheena. A quick google seems to tell me that grass ticks are the larvae of paralysis ticks? But we don't really have paralysis ticks here. Certainly fits the description though.

These are super tiny, it wasn't until I removed a couple and they started moving around on the tissue did I realise they were alive. :eek: I've kept a couple in a jar to take to the vet.

Edited by moosepup

I give my dogs Transfer Factor and also Inner Health dairy free probiotics (they're refrigerated).

I have 2 x 10kg (approx) dogs and am dividing each capsule of both products between the dogs. I wonder if I am under dosing them by givng them half a capsule. I would appreciate advice from those who are more knowledgeable than I am about the correct dose for my dogs.

I'm certainly no expert cav but my 4.4kg dog gets 1 - 2 grams of Protexin which is 60 - 120 million CFU.

IHP is 25 billion CFU per capsule so I'd hazard a guess and say no you're not under dosing. Certainly don't take my word for it though. :)

I'm certainly no expert cav but my 4.4kg dog gets 1 - 2 grams of Protexin which is 60 - 120 million CFU.

IHP is 25 billion CFU per capsule so I'd hazard a guess and say no you're not under dosing. Certainly don't take my word for it though. :)

See, you know a lot more than I do so I will certainly take your word for it and I'll continue to do what I'm doing. I imagine the same goes for the Transfer Factor.

Thanks, Moosepup.

See, you know a lot more than I do so I will certainly take your word for it and I'll continue to do what I'm doing. I imagine the same goes for the Transfer Factor.

Thanks, Moosepup.

These things don't hurt in higher doses and you will know if you should back it back as you will see diarrhoea - what you are doing is good.

Thanks Steve, it's a relief to know that because I'm really flying blind as far as dosing goes.

When I was treating my Rottweiler with these supplements I had no problems with the dose rate but with small dogs I have no idea what I'm doing and just hope I'm getting it right.

Diagnosis....... stick fast fleas! Which makes sense as one of our neighbours has chickens and the doves might be picking up the fleas and dropping them in the soil. I'm hesitant to use a spot on so the vet recommended a Fipronil spray.

Any harm in trying a couple of ACV baths first and if that doesn't work try the Fipronil do you think?

Edited by moosepup

• 4 weeks later...

IMHO kefir have to be among the best and more complete probiotic available.The culture can be grow in cow milk because it will consume the lactose which it is not digested by dogs.

Kefir grains are easy to reproduce and a culture can start with 2 tsp of grains in milk.

You will see the large type of yeasts in the grains but do not worry, they do not known to produce allergies.

Here are some of the ingredients in kefir grains (excuse me the long post)

LACTOBACILLI

Lactobacillus acidophilus

Lb. brevis [Possibly now Lb. kefiri]

Lb. casei subsp. casei

Lb. casei subsp. rhamnosus

Lb. paracasei subsp. paracasei

Lb. fermentum

Lb. cellobiosus

Lb. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus

Lb. delbrueckii subsp. lactis

Lb. fructivorans

Lb. helveticus subsp. lactis