Best Golden Retriever Dry Food

85vicmat

Hi, we recently bought a golden retriever puppy that is now 12 weeks old. He was previously being fed Science diet puppy dry food combined with a little of the science diet wet food. I was just wondering what the best dry food for golden retrievers was, as we wanted to make sure he was eating the right food and not something that we have heard so many bad reviews about ? Has anyone had good results with science diet or is it better to slowly switch to an alternative dry food ? TIA

The best food for your dog, regardless of breed, is the food they do the best on.

Each dog is an individual and what one GR does well on, may be terrible for another GR.

I personally don't like science diet but each to their own.

I dish up a mix of Earthborn Holistic kibble (either the salmon one of the primitive one), barf patties or human grade roo, raw meaty bones like lamb flaps, chicken carcasses, turkey necks and wings. My lad also gets cottage cheese, raw eggs (shell and all) and the odd pigs ear.

This is what he does well on. It can take a while to work,out what your dog does well on and it is all trial and error.

There is varying schools of thought on changing diets, some think just change it and others think it is better to change it slowly...

Congrats on the new puppy :)

Exactly what Staffyluv said, not a fan myself but if it works for you then it's not a bad thing :) As far as widely available foods(I live regionally and access to most of the 'holistic' brands is only via shipping) that have age/size/breed varieties go I like Royal Canin, found all my animals have done well on it. Currently my dogs eat Blackhawk which I have found to be excellent but they only have a standard puppy and not everyone feels it is suited to larger breed pups. My dogs are full grown so haven't had to worry about this.

Enjoy your new bundle of fluff :)

Agree with Staffyluv, whatever the dog does well on.

I also don't like Science diet, the prescriptions ones are good, but I think the normal stuff is overpriced crap.

I raised a labrador 12 years ago on Proplan Large Breed Puppy and raised my current pup on it until about 6months of age when he started becoming intolerant to certain ingredients. I would of preferred to stick to the Proplan, both breeders recommended it too.

Now he is currently on Holistic Select Grain Free, but is being picky and has gone off the taste, so I've just bought a bag of Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch (grainfree) to trial.

Oh and like staffylluv I also give raw meaty bones, mostly turkey necks and wings, but have given lamb, and a few times a week add either some egg(with shell), yogurt or whole sardines (Sometimes in a frozen icebock)

Edited by LisaCC

I have tried many different brands- my GR did fine on all of them & I settled on Nutro, purely because I can always get it. Some of the high end organic ones can be difficult to source & I got sick of running out while waiting for orders to come in.

Supplemented with bones, Nutro works well for my Goldie.

Guest hankodie

Yup what staffyluv said. Have you asked your pup's breeder for advice?

My goldie Hank started on Pro Plan puppy food which he did well on, then when it was time to put him on adult food I switched him to Holistic Select after reading some good reviews. He didn't do too well on it, lots of runny poos and tummy issues. I then switched him to Canidae grain free pure land and he does fantastic on it - nice shiny coat and firm poos. It all depends and it's a bit of a guessing game in the beginning. Just make sure if you do transition to a new food that you do it slowly.

Congrats on your new pup! My GR is 7 months old now, it's crazy how time flies. enjoy puppyhood while it lasts!