Calling All Great Dane Folks!

DaneLover233

Oh one more important thing... You will never wear nice clothes again :laugh:

Ok not really... But since Dane ownership all my clothes are divided into two very distinct categories: those to be covered in hair and slobber, and those that I put on five minutes before I need to be seen by the general public.

Haha omg I laughed so much at this and the above comments! I love how varied the breed is. It's so good to hear all the warnings though, it definitely helps to prepare me for anything and everything!

It's funny you should say about finding durable bedding etc for the dog bc my hubby and I have actually saved our old queen bed (the whole thing, not just the matress) plus 2 sofas for when we finally get our GD!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok not really... But since Dane ownership all my clothes are divided into two very distinct categories: those to be covered in hair and slobber, and those that I put on five minutes before I need to be seen by the general public.

Haha omg I laughed so much at this and the above comments! I love how varied the breed is. It's so good to hear all the warnings though, it definitely helps to prepare me for anything and everything!

It's funny you should say about finding durable bedding etc for the dog bc my hubby and I have actually saved our old queen bed (the whole thing, not just the matress) plus 2 sofas for when we finally get our GD!

Haha! Perfect! He or she will love that :thumbsup:

They love their stuffed toys soooo much!

They are usually fairly retarded when it comes to swimming.

My house and yard is littered with toys as I buy new ones or get them from work but he has not killed a toy yet. Ikea is an awesome source for toys and pillow pets are perfect!

Swimming??? By that you mean only going in as long as the feet can still touch the bottom and expressing panicked looks when they can't??

Exhibit A

post-14529-0-11552400-1391051362_thumb.jpg

It's so good to hear all the warnings though, it definitely helps to prepare me for anything and everything!

Personally when I talk to people about breeds I always tell them to work out first whether they can live happily with the worst things about the breed(lots of fur, grooming, extra training for breed traits, etc), if you can't be happy with the worst things about a breed it's not even worth looking at the best things about the breed :)

Haha! Perfect! He or she will love that :thumbsup:

It will definitely be a "he"

They love their stuffed toys soooo much!

They are usually fairly retarded when it comes to swimming.

My house and yard is littered with toys as I buy new ones or get them from work but he has not killed a toy yet. Ikea is an awesome source for toys and pillow pets are perfect!

Swimming??? By that you mean only going in as long as the feet can still touch the bottom and expressing panicked looks when they can't??

Exhibit A

post-14529-0-11552400-1391051362_thumb.jpg

Hahaha omg his face!!! What a sook!

It's so good to hear all the warnings though, it definitely helps to prepare me for anything and everything!

Personally when I talk to people about breeds I always tell them to work out first whether they can live happily with the worst things about the breed(lots of fur, grooming, extra training for breed traits, etc), if you can't be happy with the worst things about a breed it's not even worth looking at the best things about the breed :)

That's a great way of looking at it! Thanks

Check out how many litters each breeder is having HERE

ooh wow interesting.

I wish there were more info like this available in such a fab format!

I would love to have it 100% up to date - sadly many don't submit litter listings to me and I don't have access to all the State canine gazettes to view the litter listings myself.

Not all breeders are created the same regardless of if they are registered or not - it takes time and patience and open eyes to find a good breeder.

This is a BIG thing, research, research and research some more!

Visit shows, ask around, stalk breeders and ask questions of everyone !

I'm not sure how to add this to the Dane thread?

I'd love to stalk ppl lol. Is anyone on the Gold Coast with a dane/s? I saw a couple of people at the pet expo last year & totally embarrassed myself by running over and (albeit a little creepily) asking if I can pat their dane lol.

I'd love to stalk ppl lol. Is anyone on the Gold Coast with a dane/s? I saw a couple of people at the pet expo last year & totally embarrassed myself by running over and (albeit a little creepily) asking if I can pat their dane lol.

One of our friends at the dog park mentioned there was a date meet up down the Spit this Sunday morning (2nd Feb) from about 8am!

So it might be an opportunity to meet some owners and get lots of cuddles ^_^

Eta: forgot to put the date in

Edited by Taliecat

One of our friends at the dog park mentioned there was a date meet up down the Spit this Sunday morning (2nd Feb) from about 8am!

So it might be an opportunity to meet some owners and get lots of cuddles ^_^

Eta: forgot to put the date in

Oh really??? I might have to venture down there - might be slightly creepy haha

Pending weather I'll be down there in an unrelated trip with my am staff and greyhound-bitsa..

So if you do venture down I'll be more than happy to be a dane admirer with you.

GAH! I love amstaffs AND greyhounds! I have my friends rotti pup (she's about 9 months now) for 2 weeks while they're off snowboarding in Japan so I might bring her down as she's calmer than my boxer and then maybe i'll look less creepy.

Any Dane owners that are going to this meet up please let me know!