Tips For A Carsick Puppy

Simply Grand

Is he happy to be in the car when it's stationary with the engine off?

My foster failure was reliably sick whenever we had to drive anywhere, and this from his first trip home from the shelter. He wouldn't touch ginger biscuits, getting a tablet into him was mission impossible and the DAP spray seemed to make no difference.

I started using a thunder shirt on him (without having much hope) and it made a huge difference. He lied down instead of standing there, wide eyed and drooling and after a number of un eventful car trips, I was able to wean him off the shirt.

I'm not saying he is a huge car fan, but he is much more comfortable these days and hasn't thrown up in a couple of years. Interestingly he's always much happier driving back home, rather than leaving home to an unknown destination...

Seeing as the thread's back up, I'll give you an update :) I kept meaning to do it and forget.

Foster puppy is now 12.5 weeks and still feels the carsickness :( The Travacalm ginger tablets have definitely been the most effective thing in making it less severe, as well as no food for a good few hours beforehand. If I give her the Travacalm 30 mins before the trip starts she can do 30 minute drive with only a little bit of drooling and appears much more comfortable than without it (although she still goes quiet in the car, and she resists her car harness and walking towards the car a little bit).

I've tried front seat, windows open, music on with no luck and having the other dogs in the car doesn't help either.

She doesn't seem to be having any adverse effects from the Travacalm, the ingredients say it's just ginger root powder so I thought it probably was safe. I started off giving her half a tablet, she's now a bit over 8kgs and I've been giving her a whole one.