My Pug's New Lump

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick update...

I took him to the vet this morning and she did a fine needle aspirate on the lump.

The results will be back in a few days. If it's cancer then he will need to go under and have it removed (and it will be biopsied).

The lump is still small and not bothering him at the moment. She said to continue with the antihistamines.

Thanks Roova and RSA :)

Perse and CavnRott, my vet said the histamine (that is being released by the mast cells in the tumour) is making the lump inflamed and itchy. And she said the antihistamines will help.

I have just got home and his lump has halved in size. I think the antihistamines are working.

My vet didn't say anything about him being in pain; I just said that because I was upset and worrying. I'm sorry to have alarmed you.

My old stafford that had MCT was given a daily dose of polarmine (antihistamine).. He very rarely had MCT histamine release because of this..

Find out what the daily dose should be and give it to him every morning to counter it.

My old stafford that had MCT was given a daily dose of polarmine (antihistamine).. He very rarely had MCT histamine release because of this..

Find out what the daily dose should be and give it to him every morning to counter it.

Thanks SL, my vet told me to give it to him every day.

I might talk to my vet about putting him on Masitinib (not as harsh as Palladia).

This will stop the tumours from developing/spreading while I think about what to do. It just buys time; it doesn't cure the cancer. Once you take them off it, the cancer returns.

Edited by puggedforlife

I feel that I've done all I can with natural medicine, and I would like to take the standard/orthodox approach and use veterinary medicine.

I've reached the stage where I'm just happy to keep him comfortable. I'm no longer hoping for remission or a miracle cure*.

*MCT's are so unpredictable that apparently they can go away and never come back again.

Edited by puggedforlife

MCT are not all bad news. It does depend on the grading and whether safe margins are able to be obtained at surgery. I have chosen three quotes from this source that have a positive spin on MCT.

Mast cell tumors have 3 grades, with grade I being the least aggressive and least likely to spread to other organs (metastasize), and grade III being highly aggressive tumors with a high likelihood of metastasis; most grade II tumors tend not to metastasize, although they can do so.

The prognosis for completely removed grade I and grade II tumors is excellent. The prognosis for incompletely removed grade I and II tumors treated with radiation therapy after surgery is also excellent with approximately 90-95% of dogs having no recurrence of tumor within 3 years of receiving radiation therapy.

Dogs that develop Mast cell tumors seem to like to develop more of them and this is not necessarily the same as metastasis.
As long as tumors are caught when small, surgical removal is usually adequate for treatment.

Source: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/deptsOncology/owners/mastcell.aspx

That information isn't up to date or aligned with the current thinking on MCT's.

Be very careful where you get your information, especially with information on the internet. I think it's best to get it directly from an oncologist :)

Edited by puggedforlife

One of the biggest issues with MCTs and why they are of major concern to me is not much the grading, but the frequency. Most dogs that I know with MCTs have had multiple tumours. Not just one or two low grade but multiple. Even low grade can shorten life span.

Boof has undergone 7 surgeries in just over twelve months to remove suspected MCTs and he has just had his spleen removed with a suspected MCT. Until they are removed and tested you don't know what they are or what grade.

Every lump is an issue in a dog that develops MCTs. Every single lump. Try living with a much loved pet that continually develops tumours. Maeybe's issues and concerns are well founded in my opinion.

Edited by ~Anne~

Thanks Anne :)

What concerns me is that they are becoming harder to manage, ie. producing histamine and other chemicals that are making him sick. He was having trouble breathing last night. And they are becoming more frequent. And because he has a diagnosis of Multiple Mast Cell Tumours, he's going to have them for the rest of his life. And there is no guarantee that they will all be low grade (or not metastasise). So far two of them have been Grade 2 on the old system.

It is frustrating and upsetting beyond belief to watch your baby go through this. And I find the uncertainty very hard to be with.

Edited by puggedforlife

That information isn't up to date or aligned with the current thinking on MCT's.

Be very careful where you get your information, especially with information on the internet. I think it's best to get it directly from an oncologist :)

I was trying to help you see there can be positives and an MCT isn't always bad news. Just forget I even tried.

Edited by Ams

I might talk to my vet about putting him on Masitinib (not as harsh as Palladia).

This will stop the tumours from developing/spreading while I think about what to do. It just buys time; it doesn't cure the cancer. Once you take them off it, the cancer returns.

Chemo is the same - it doesn't cure them, it buys you time..

It will put them in remission and depending on the dog, the doses it has received and the spread and hold the MCT has..

Remissions can be short, medium or long term - with MCT it is so hard to tell..

We used a combination of conventional medicine, holistic medicine and finger crossing.. Ol had chemo for 6 months, was treated with improvements to diet and holistic supplements. High doses of Vitamin C, fish oil, a daily polarmine tablet and loads of what he wanted to do.

He still wanted to go walking every day - so we did..