What Do You Need To Take To The Sydney Royal?

Huntia

Hi all :)

I have entered my Rhodesian Ridgeback bitch in the Sydney Royal dog show. It will be the first time for both of us :) :eek:

What I need help with is a list of what we need to take.

Do people bring special mats to put on the bench for their dogs to lay on?

What size mat do I need to take with me?

Do you decorate your benching area?

It has been many many many years since I have even visited the royal and I can not remember what the dog benching area looks like!!

Any photos of what you have done before would be wonderful :thanks:

I don't decorate my bench. Check the rules as there are some guidelines you need to follow. Decorated benches are not as common as they are for Melbourne. There are several bench sizes. Not sure what yours will be. Generally a crate style mat is sufficient. You will need a benching chain. Basically a chain about a metre or so long with a clip at each end. You can get chain and clips from bunnings. Get a chain where you can move the clip to different links so you can lengthen or shorten as needed. I prefer to attach to a flat or martingale collar. Try to travel light if you can. It will make it easier. Bring water and a bowl of course. Some people bring chairs but I usually sit on the bench with the dog. One of those grocery trolley bags on wheels for example will make your life easier rather than carrying lots of bags and bits. I pack most things into my grooming box which is a big toolbox on wheels. If you are travelling with another person, you can go to the drop off point to unload, leave them with the dog then go park (the parking is a good distance away). If just you and you have no one to watch the dog suggest either unloading gear and then walking the dog back from the car park, or if you are travelling light enough, go park first and walk back with dog and gear. Travelling light helps with a quick getaway at the end of the day too.

*I would never attend a royal without a crate.not a fan of chaining especially when you don't now who your neighbours are & the dogs can chill out without my attention (toilet run,eating,snooze or just a wander to stretch my legs ) .

*Cool coats if its hot its horrid in there

*Chair

^headache tablets

*we take our own drinks or certainly enough to hopefully last & buy lunch

*A dog trolley if you have one is awesome for carting stuff if not a luggage style trolley or courier trolley to place items on & pull,if need be use plastic containers to store stuff in to cart more loads .

*A very secure walking lead especially when leaving & having to walk through the crowds & past the roller coaster ,its chaoes at departure time

* If you have a friend with you get your car around 4/4.30 & start loading as much as you can

I actually found Sydney Royal to be disappointing for buying stuff so don't get to excited

Edited by showdog