Dog Crying When Left Alone

Sylvie

At least try and get an evaluation from a behaviourist and if they are confident the puppy can be helped then maybe rehoming would be a good option. An owner who is home often will be better able to ease the puppy into learning its okay to be left alone. I know this is an awkward situation for you because it is somebody else's dog but please try to talk to them about putting her down.

Wow. That escalated quickly.

Why would you be suggesting putting her down so quickly?

A young small dog who doesn't like being left alone isn't an instant death sentence is it?

Even thinking about rehoming (assuming the owners arent capable of anything further, which is still a big assumption) there are situations that may suit.

My grandma lives in a block of units and where she couldn't take her dog, which was rare, next door would take him for the day and spoil him rotten.

Or someone who can take him to work/daycare etc.

Obviously yes a behaviourist needs to be consulted but why would you suggest talking to the owner about putting her to sleep already?

Not sure why thats the first answer suggested to be honest.

Understand in some cases its the kindest thing, but hard to assume this is definitely one.

I think Terri was saying talk to them about the comment THEY had made about putting her down, as in saying try to show them there are other options, not suggesting the she (Terri) thought it was a good option...

My neighbor have a 1 year old poodle cross who hates being left alone. She cries, and cries, and howls as soon as the owner left

Puppy farms and poor breeding is a great place to source unstable temperaments. Do people not know that many registered and dedicated breeders go to great lengths in parental selection and early puppy imprinting to produce pups of stable coping mechanism.

Maybe so but I doubt that separation anxiety is limited to cross breeds. Indeed, we have seen recent threads about purebreds straight from breeders that display the same behaviours.

Irrelevant to this topic anyway. Sylvie the owners obviously care enough to pay a behaviourist so hopefully things improve with a few simple strategies.

My neighbor have a 1 year old poodle cross who hates being left alone. She cries, and cries, and howls as soon as the owner left

Puppy farms and poor breeding is a great place to source unstable temperaments. Do people not know that many registered and dedicated breeders go to great lengths in parental selection and early puppy imprinting to produce pups of stable coping mechanism.

Maybe so but I doubt that separation anxiety is limited to cross breeds. Indeed, we have seen recent threads about purebreds straight from breeders that display the same behaviours.

Irrelevant to this topic anyway. Sylvie the owners obviously care enough to pay a behaviourist so hopefully things improve with a few simple strategies.

OP said pup/dog was a year old which is quite an age to display the behaviour to the magnitude of neighbour compliant so an assessment of temperament would be a desired undertaking don't you think??. Separation anxiety is usually a genetic imbalance expressed as how the dog deals with stress. It's not limited to cross breeds but unknown parentage of similar behaviour is possible commonly overlooked in a BYB breeding.

Phew! Moment of sheer amazement there! Sorry! Its hot and I'm not that bright at the best of times :)

Woops ! Worded that pretty badly but yes definitely think that all options should be exhausted before pts. Good to hear the owner's are committing to helping there puppy.

The lady came yesterday evening to ask if I wanted to go for a walk with themthumbsup1.gif. Unfortunately I was not home and my husband was not to keen for a walk, but she proposed to walk our dog with hers, so Apollo got an extra walk smile.gif. Sound good.

hey Sylvie,

Just wanted to reach out and say if worst case scenario I would be happy to have this little girl. I have done my fair share of fostering and dealing with separation anxiety!

we don't foster anymore as we adopted a few fosters, but we are mostly home and our pets are very spoilt! A much better option than pts!

Louise :-)

Thanks everyone,

It is good to know that there are a few options if needed. I'll keep all the names and options in mind. But I hope it is all going to work out. We did not hear the little girl for a while now. Mainly because they take her with them when they go out, but there was one night they left her somewhere in the house (instead of tied up on the veranda) and I might have heard one yip and then she stopped and we did not hear anything else thumbsup1.gif. I was not even sure she was left home alone but the neighbour came and asked the day after to know if we heard anything.

So they must be doing something right and an other good thing is she is not running free in the open front yard as much either.

Edited by Sylvie